Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH wants to start giving ds (4.5mo) meat. But that makes me nervious, I dont feel that it is right... but I need research and clinical evidence for this man. We started entroducing solids this month, he's doing pretty good on the few things that we have given him. I dont feed solid but maybe once ever other day and only a few spoonfulls, but I have to give him bananas everytime I eat one cause he will get a bit upset. okay gotta go sew.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
As a vegan I'd say never
but...please wait! Meat is one of the last things you add to baby's diet. Your local LLL group will have good info on nutrition, try their website, too.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
i will speak as wife of the great white hunter.

We did not food till 7 months -- just momma. I think even teh PEd didn't want anythign but rice till 6 months, we just waited.

We did a lot of fruites and veggies firs

We started chicken at 11.5 months and 2 teeth.

tonight we started vension -- 12 months, 1 week. I browned it til it was in tiny littel balls, the kind that are too small to do anything with -- dust like. adn let him self feed. I was surprised, he isn't much for food, but ate 6 bites -- tiny fighers gettig in his mouth -- of it.

Ped told us, and i trust her, to hold off on Prok till 18+ months as it is a harder protine to digest, but she would be ok with DS having beef now (or turecky or something -- no shell fish or anything).

A

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
"Meat" was one of this week's Mothering Questions topics:

http://www.mothering.com/sections/ex...hive.html#meat

Quote:
I'm no fan of grains as first foods. Veggies should predominate and meat is great as an early food. A breastfed baby has some risk for developing iron deficiency during their early transition to solid foods. Once any iron-containing foods are introduced, mom's delivery system of bound iron is hindered and new iron-hungry flora begin to grow. Hence, first foods should be high in iron, and meat fits the bill nicely.

...(more in link)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Our ped said at least 9 mos for meat. We've offered chicken prepared various ways, turkey meatballs, and lamb souvlaki. He LOVED the lamb and liked chicken when it was cooked in chicken soup. Not too interested in anything else. He will sometimes put it in his mouth, mush it around a bit (no teeth!) and spit it out. I'd say you have quite a while to wait!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Honestly, the research and clinical evidence that you say your husband wants says to wait until 6 months for any solids, so you could show him that. Check the AAP site for more. Kellymom.com has some good links. If your family eats meat, then go for it once he's old enough for solids in general, but I think he's on the young side now.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Wait until your baby is READY for solid food - sitting unassisted, grabbing for food, able to shovel it into his mouth on his own. Then - meat is one of the best first foods. It is easy to digest, and the right cuts of meat (stewing meat is best) are tender, easy to chew, and have lots of fat and other nutrients.

One of my girl's first foods was paté, and she loved it.

The fattier the meat, the better for the baby. So no icky chicken breasts. Go for thigh meat if you give chicken or turkey. Lamb is great too.

·
Registered
560 Posts
La Leche League actually recommends meat as a good first food. Any type of very soft meat works fine.

Mashed banana is an easy food to start with, and babies almost always like it. Protein foods come early in the rotation-- mashed tender cuts of meat, etc. Eggs should wait a little while.

Things like ground beef, stew meat, chicken from soup along w/ vegies are a serious staples for my little one.

Good luck,
Alyssa
Mama to Scott (16), Katie (14), Karlie (12), Kimmy (5), and Baby Klara (2/05/06)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sorry, my message got sent too soon :)

This quote is actually from LLL's website FAQ:

Mashed banana is an easy food to start with, and babies almost always like it. Protein foods come early in the rotation-- mashed tender cuts of meat, etc. Eggs should wait a little while.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
At 4.5 months, your baby is most likely not ready for any solid foods at all. Is he sitting unassisted and able to self-feed? Those are two great indicators of readiness. As for meat, LLL recommends it as a first food and we offered it to ds between 6-7 months. I believe we started with softened bits of beef roast that he could pick up and put into his mouth.

Here is some information about starting solids that discusses how breastmilk should be your baby's exlusive source of nutrition for the first 6 months--not the first 4-6.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts