Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds is 7. He is learning music theory at school, he participates in chorus at school and choir at church. He is beginning to have a concept of scales and starting to read music a little tiny bit. We have a piano in our home (albeit it badly out of tune,) and access to a good piano teacher through his school. His mental capacity is infinite, and he is generally a diligent worker/learning. However, his fine motor skills still have a lot of developing to do. His handwriting is pretty poor, etc.<br><br>
I'm wondering when he should begin piano lessons? The piano teacher says 7 or 8 yo. But I'm wondering what some parents have observed with their own children. I don't want him to be frustrated. But I don't want to wait too long either.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have a friend who starts teaching at 4. Actually she has given free lessons to my dd at 2.5, just basics like high notes, low notes, black notes, white notes and middle C.<br><br>
I started in 2nd grade and continued through senior year of high school.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I agree with Sparklemom. I also suggest you make sure HE wants to take these lessons. My sister had a natural ear for music and loved playing the piano. So, my mom enrolled her in piano, my sister stopped playing the piano. 18 yrs later, she has started playing again!

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I have to agree you should first make sure that he WANTS to learn so that he will be happy when he has to practice, and he will have to practice. As far as his fine motor skills the practice might actually help that. I have been told from one teacher that the child should be able to read but others will take them as early as 3 as long as they want to learn, just basics. I think as long as he wants to learn and your expectations aren't too high them go ahead and sign him up, what's the worst thing that can happen he does not like it and he stops. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
In addition to the desire, I remember my mom being told that it was best to wait until a child could span an octave with his/her fingers. Now, as an adult, I see that it's probably impossible that Mozart was able to do that when he began composing, but it also makes sense to me from the perspective of someone who plays classical piano (not well, just plays).

·
Registered
121 Posts
My dd's studio/teacher starts at 4 or 5. i started dd at 5. I think the ability to read helps with reading music.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts