Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm sure this has been covered in the many raw milk threads, but I only have a sec...

A friend of mine was unable to breastfeed her babe, but has had him on a nice, healthy formula since birth (he breastfed a little at first, got the colostrum, etc.). Now that he is over a year, she is looking to alternatives - can she put him on raw cow's milk? What about raw goat's milk? If 12 months is too young, is there an age that would be better?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I would have to ask what the rest of the baby's diet is like- does he still NEED the nutrients in the formula or will he get those in other parts of his diet if he goes to plain raw milk?

A good compromise I've seen many FF moms do is mix some formula and some whole milk into each bottle or sippy cup, and over time use less formula and more whole milk. In the case of homemade formula, I'm not sure if it would be easier to make the formula following the regular recipe and then mix with milk or alter the recipe for more milk/less other ingredients.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The WAPF website says that you can give raw milk to infants who are unable to BF. They also have formula recipes using raw milk if you are interested. I think 12 months is just fine as long as you know your source and are comfortable with the farmer's practices.

Kim

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I would have to ask what the rest of the baby's diet is like- does he still NEED the nutrients in the formula or will he get those in other parts of his diet if he goes to plain raw milk?

A good compromise I've seen many FF moms do is mix some formula and some whole milk into each bottle or sippy cup, and over time use less formula and more whole milk. In the case of homemade formula, I'm not sure if it would be easier to make the formula following the regular recipe and then mix with milk or alter the recipe for more milk/less other ingredients.
I think they have him on some organic babyfoods but are being cautious to prevent food allergies. He takes probiotics and CLO as well as some goat's milk yogurt. They are very holistic, see a homeopath, chiropractor, etc, but the babe has some medical problems, so he has had some surgeries (two or three) over the past year (I think my friend said he will likely have more over the next year).

That's a good idea to mix the formula with the milk...

Kim, thanks for the reminder about the WAPF - I forgot I could check with them. My friend's homeopath (or is it naturopath?) has told her about Weston Price, so I know she is aware of them as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts