Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear you're not supposed to use any sort of wipe solution on a newborn baby, but can't remember for the life of me at what age it starts being OK. Has anyone heard this? Did I hallucinate the whole thing & wipes solution is good from the start?

TIA!

Holly

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ustasmom
Well, I started using it when I was 40. I would recommend sooner, though.

ROFL!!!!! :LOL

I'm not sure about the solution but if you're concerned about using it why not just fill a peri-bottle or spray bottle with plain distilled water? I would think it's still good to use a bit of rinse of some sort.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
How odd.
I plan on using it on DD from the first day she's born.
Just as I used the disposable wipes on DS when he was first born.
I can't for the life of me imagine why a gentle wipe solution shouldn't be used on a newborn. Particularly as it must be way better for a little one than the chemical laden disposables wipes other people use.
The only caveat is to go easy on the essential oils as new skin will be very sensitive to them.

~Daednu

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I don't even add extra oils to my wipes solution. The olive oil stained my wipes. And I need to fill my wipes warmer every day anyway. So just a squirt of baby shampoo and water. Nice warm wipes right out of the box. And no waiting for tap water to warm up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've heard that too. (about not using wipes solutions on new bums) My ds was in the NICU for several weeks and all they use is water on the little paper wipes...the chemicals can be a bit much and water is of course gentler. I would think that a bit of baby soap or whatever you are going to use is fine. Much better then sposie wipes
. We just use water on our cloth wipes though and it has worked great.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are great!

I think we'll just use some warm water with a little all natural baby wash to start. I can always whip up a batch of fancy solution (ie: TTO, GSE, etc) a couple weeks in if the h2o and soap doesn't seem to be doing the job.

Seriously, after reading the ingredients in name brand baby wipes I can't believe ANYONE uses that one their kiddo's little tushie. Then again, I can't believe people use sposies either

Holly

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think TTO might be a tiny bit harsh out of all the things mentioned.
I don't use TTO in my wash solution for my 1 yr old. I personally prefer some lavendar oil. Much gentler and has an antibacterial quality.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've only ever used water on DS's bum - even when he was in sposies for the first 6 months. The disposable wipes gave him a rash.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just plain old water here too. It does a fine job - if there's every a really sticky mess, I find a bit of natural vitamin e moisturising lotion on her bum helps better than soap or anything like that.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Slightly OT, I got a sample in the mail the other day for some little soap chunks called "baby bits" that make wipes solution from www.soapsbydenise.com (no affiliation) and OMG they smell SO good! They make the whole nursery smell good!

So if you're shopping for WAHM wipes solution... highly recommended!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I'd wait until baby was a month old, personally. My son had a bad reaction to TTO until he was even older, I think.

I'm a big fan of plain water if you are one who wipes after every change or if you do wipes in lieu of regular baths. Too much of any solution can upset the natural flora balance, I've become convinced with my daughter.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HRC121799
We use warm water still, Braden is 11mos old.
My daughter is named Brayden...just had to tell you that you picked a cool name!

And we use wipe solution on EVERYONE. I also have a wipe box that is for wiping countertops and spills. I put a little vinegar in the solution for these ones.

-Melissa

·
Registered
259 Posts
We've always used a solution and never had any problems. I've never even thought about it since it's still better than the 'sposie wipes!

Mostly just a little apricot or calendula oil, aloe vera, and a little squitr of baby wash- then lots of water (peri bottle- courtesy of the hosiptal
)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts