Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about cd'ing using FBs. What do I need to get started? Is this enough?

12 Fuzzi Bunz Pocket Diapers
18 Mother of Eden Micro Terry Inserts
12 Cloth Wipes
1 Diaper Wet Bag Tote
1 Charlie's Soap Laundry Powder (80 loads)

What else would I need? Liners or a sprayer? hemp inserts? Would appreciate any advice on what I need to get. Thanks!

· Registered
2,297 Posts
Looks like a good start. But, IME, 12 dipes are not enough, especially for an infant. Also, I've never been a fan of pockets for overnight use because I found they had to be stuffed so much that they had gapring leg holes that the pee just ran out of. But absolutely the list you have will get you started and I say go for it!!! I have found that I learn as I go along with cd's and once you start using them you will figure out what you need more of and what kind of dipes work best. I've always been the type to buy a few different kinds dipes and try them all out before I invest in buying a bunch of one kind of diaper, but that's just me... As for what else you might need initially, I would suggest some liners. If you are using pocket dipes, you want to make sure you don't get any diaper cream on them so liners are good for that. Some people like diaper sprayers but I've never used one. I just dunk in the toilet if I need to.

Happy diapering!

· Registered
2,226 Posts
I'm new to CD'ing, and I'd also like to hear the answer to this-as well as what accessories I'd need (diaper pail?) to make CD'ing easy.

My dh had a work friend tell him that it's "too hard," bc he and his wife tried and gave up, but after having wonderful success with cloth maxis (sooo comfortable) I really want to get CD'ing a shot.

· Registered
71 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sing4jy View Post
I am thinking about cd'ing using FBs. What do I need to get started? Is this enough?

12 Fuzzi Bunz Pocket Diapers
18 Mother of Eden Micro Terry Inserts
12 Cloth Wipes
1 Diaper Wet Bag Tote
1 Charlie's Soap Laundry Powder (80 loads)

What else would I need? Liners or a sprayer? hemp inserts? Would appreciate any advice on what I need to get. Thanks!
I am also new to cloth diapering. Expecting on Aug 30th. After much research and advice from so many people, I went to weebunzdiapers.com and got a deluxe package. Ordered 3 dozen dsqCPF's, 5 different covers, 4 different pocket diapers, liner bag, and inserts...all fo r$180.00, this will allow me to try many different kinds before investing any more money.
Good luck to you!!!

· Banned
4,724 Posts
http://talula-fairie.livejournal.com/250303.html I wrote up a cloth diapering resource post.

I'd recommend getting 36 diapers (24 bare minimum), an equal number of wipes as diapers, 6 covers if you're using prefolds or fitteds, a wetbag for travel, and a diaper pail. I wouldn't buy all one brand of diaper either. All babies are different and not every diaper is going to fit every baby or work for you. Also, Charlie's Soap doesn't work for some people. I've heard it's bad in hard water and some babies are sensitive to it.

HTH

· Registered
833 Posts
I started out with less. I do OK with 15-18 diapers and wash every day. I'd like to increase, but my opinion is that a dozen is a good start, just keep disposables on hand in case you use a dozen quickly. Of course more is better--can be lazy with the wash and there's less wear on the diapers. But if you're trying it out, a dozen is fine.

I recommend at least 3 dozen wipes because I use 1-3+ every diaper change.

· Registered
2,167 Posts
I would guess you need a lot more wipes. We use disposable wipes in the beginning and went through over 80 a week during the newborn phase. I also used 4 dozen diapers and felt like I needed them all. There were plenty of days when I changed ds 24x a day.

You mentioned a wet bag tote - is that the small size for day trip or a pail liner? You probably want both if you plan to use cloth in and out of the house.

And I know you are asking about diapering with FB's, but I seriously LOVE my prefolds. They're just as quick as any other diaper, easier to wash, and we never had a blowout that got onto clothes because they're so easy to fit at any stage. I though DH would need pockets or AIO's, but he loves them too - and I really didn't expect that.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be totally honest, the wipes come with the package. I don't know why, but using cloth wipes never occured to me until I saw them in the package. Now that I think about it, I guess I would need alot more than that!

I'm going to get both size wet bags.

As far as number of diapers, thanks for the input. I wasn't sure how many I'd need to start. I really can't afford to get 20 or 30 right now. It's hard enough trying to talk dh into this many! I'm hoping to build our stash as we go along. We're planning to have another child later on, so I know it will all be worth it.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
http://talula-fairie.livejournal.com/250303.html I wrote up a cloth diapering resource post.

I'd recommend getting 36 diapers (24 bare minimum), an equal number of wipes as diapers, 6 covers if you're using prefolds or fitteds, a wetbag for travel, and a diaper pail. I wouldn't buy all one brand of diaper either. All babies are different and not every diaper is going to fit every baby or work for you. Also, Charlie's Soap doesn't work for some people. I've heard it's bad in hard water and some babies are sensitive to it.

HTH
Good to know, I will go check out the link to see what soap you recommend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.