Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried my first one out, and I love them... except 1 hour later I was standing in WalMart (yeah, I know...) and boom, all kinds of pee running down her leg.

It LOOKED like a snug fit. Anyway, I think/hope that I did something wrong. I don't "think" that she had soaked through per se, I think it was the first time she peed since I put her in that diaper. I realize I have to change them more often, maybe an hour was too long (maybe it was 90 minutes even).

I had the cover and a big "stuffer" inserted (but not one of the smaller ones).

Ideas?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Was it a print? The fit didn't look like the legs had a slight ability to let anything out? D'you buy it used or new? What type of insert was in it? I've experienced that "joy" when the dipe was still a li'l too big. Was the insert wet?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've had this happen with my Fuzzi Bunz when 1) the insert bunched up in the middle and then she didn't have full coverage in crouch 2) I had a hemp insert that, while absorbant, didn't soak up her flooding gush of a pee fast enough and 3) my diapers had build-up and needed to be stripped. I solved these problems by 1) using micro-towels to stuff the diaper since they are so squishy they don't bunch 2) using microterry instead of hemp 3) stripping my covers in several hot washes without detergent. HTH!

Oh, ETA, I've also had this problem when I overstuff my pocket and it makes it gap on the legs - kind of weighs down the sides of the diaper.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
did you make sure the inner layer was all tucked in?

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamao'two
IN HH the inner fleece is supposed to roll out.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by blondeviolin
Was it a print? The fit didn't look like the legs had a slight ability to let anything out? D'you buy it used or new? What type of insert was in it? I've experienced that "joy" when the dipe was still a li'l too big. Was the insert wet?
Not a print. I will check the legs more closely today (have her back on disposables right now but want to make the CDs work). The insert was a HH "Stuffin" (if you were asking something else, I'm not sure... I'm a newbie
). Maybe it was a little big, that could be. I'll check the insert more closely, but when I took off the diaper yesterday I noticed it was only a little heavy, not as much as I expected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackysmama
I've had this happen with my Fuzzi Bunz when 1) the insert bunched up in the middle and then she didn't have full coverage in crouch 2) I had a hemp insert that, while absorbant, didn't soak up her flooding gush of a pee fast enough and 3) my diapers had build-up and needed to be stripped. I solved these problems by 1) using micro-towels to stuff the diaper since they are so squishy they don't bunch 2) using microterry instead of hemp 3) stripping my covers in several hot washes without detergent. HTH!

Oh, ETA, I've also had this problem when I overstuff my pocket and it makes it gap on the legs - kind of weighs down the sides of the diaper.
I think I had the insert spread out good and I don't think it was bunched up. But, I wonder if the flood of pee has something to do with it? She's 11 months and now holds her pee for a while and then gushes it, instead of the trickle-every-30-minutes style she did as a little baby. I'm pretty sure the Stuffins are microterry and not hemp but I'll look. As for build-up, these are brand-new, so I'm thinking this isn't an issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamao'two
Yeah, I had the inner layer INSIDE the HH diaper... or cover... whatever it's called. Not just sitting on top of it, but in the pocket.

Thanks mamas! I hope I can figure this out, cause I really love these things and want to get these working!

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
put a microfiber inert on top of the hemp insert - the micro absorbs quickly (thus catching theflood) and the hemp absorbs more. Double check the fit on the legs. you said it was brand new so repelling fleece doesn't seem to fit in, but try washing it with a squirt of dish soap and a super hot rinse, just to be sure. Were you holding her or was she sitting in the cart? I ask this because I've been holding dd and had her sitting "just right" to where the diaper shifted so when she peed, she peed all over me and totally missed the diaper - which is really unpleasant

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 Little Monkeys
Were you holding her or was she sitting in the cart?
Holding her - got all that pee all over myself right in the middle of WalMart

·
Registered
464 Posts
I had that problem when I tried to use the Stuffin's on their own. I'm pretty sure they're hemp. Did you prime them first? The lady I bought mine from said to boil them for 10 minutes and then wash them on their own. The oils from the hemp can cause it to repel, and the oils can also transfer to the diaper, causing it to repel. Try to boil the inserts and see if it helps. I did this, but I still had the stream of pee a few times until I did what the pp suggested and stuffed the Stuffin with a microfiber insert. You can get those on the websites, or just go to an auto parts store and get microfiber towels. Hemp absorbs a lot of pee, but it absorbs slowly. Microfiber absorbs less, but absorbs quicker. The two combined seems to work the best for me. Or you can wrap the Stuffin in a small prefold if you want. That would work, too. But with the microfiber in the Stuffin I can let him go for 5 or 6 hours (we use these as backups at night sometimes), so one or 2 hours shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Your stuffins need to be washed up to 8 times before they are full absorbent. All hemp is not trustworthy until then. Hemp gets better with washing.
It sounds like the urine just ran through because of the oils in the hemp.
Try washing them and drying them. In the meantime just use a kitchen towel if you don't have anything else. They will soak up just as well with the towels and it can get your baby out of the 'sposies
HTH

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laohaire
Holding her - got all that pee all over myself right in the middle of WalMart

LOL - that's where it happened to me too, right in the middle of WalMart. This was right after my 2 yo peed her pants, also right in the middle of the store
Ya, that was a FUN trip to WalMart that day, let me tell you

·
Registered
207 Posts
We could never get a good fit with HH. They always leaked no matter how good they looked like thy fit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If your stuffins is hemp make sure your not washing it with your HH until you have washed the hemp insert 8 times. If you wash them together before that it will cause the fleece to repell from the oils in the hemp. If you have already washed them together before your 8 times then you will need to strip the dipe if it is repelling. HTH

·
Registered
315 Posts
Also when you washed the HH, did you put it in the dryer for sealing the PUL? It has to be dried on HOT the first time. I never put it in there after that initial wash though. I like to line dry them for natural sun bleaching.

Hemp: Also you didn't wash the inserts with the HH during the initial wash, correct? If you did, there is probably oil build up on it. You'll need to strip it if you did. Hemps the brownish colored HH inserts. Microfiber is white. Microfiber will also give off some junk. Not sure if it will cause buildup though.

I use HH m/l microfiber inserts in my DS HHs and even with prints, never leaked. (Even overnight which normally is a no-no). You'll need to wash them at least 3 full cycles before the inserts should be used.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
sometimes I notice when dd is sitting on the floor, the diaper kinda all gets pushed to the front of her crotch and when it does that there is sometimes a gap between the elastic of the diaper and her thighs. If she pees then, it just shoots right out. The same kinda thing could happen while holding her too.

I have no clue how to resolve that. If someone has the answer to that, I'd be thrilled!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.