Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DD used to sleep about 13 hours a day total, the low side of "normal". These days, I am lucky if I can get her to sleep 9 or 10 hours a day. She had red rimmed, blood shot eyes and is tired all day long, miserable, hysterical and subject to frequent melt downs. I literally spend all day trying to get her to sleep and feel like I've tried everything. I had the doctor check her for an ear infection, I nurse her, sing to her, rock her. I know she is teething and it really messes with her, but she's been teething for 4 out of the last 6 months. I've read NCSS cover to cover and have been implementing things to make her sleep better (bed time routine, low sound, light, etc).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>She's been sick the last 2 days and she's slept maybe 15 hours total in the last 48 hours. I'm worried about her health. What am I doing wrong?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My baby is miserable and I am exhausted. HELP!</p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
<p>You are not doing anything wrong! My DS went through the same thing- he is a horrible teether, and was teething for nearly 5 months straight, starting when he was a year old, during which time he got 11 teeth in (including canines and first molars). His sleep routine was destroyed, and I had barely any sanity left. I found that there was a pattern to his pain- he would have a few really bad days (he wouldn't eat anything, would not nap at all, and would be awake half the night), and then a day or two where things seemed better- during this time he would catch up on his sleep (long naps, sleeping through the night) and would eat everything in sight. When the bad days lasted more than three or four in a row, I resorted to the following:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>- using tylenol/motrin during the day, and at night, so he could sleep better (never for more than 3 days in a row). I found motrin worked better for all the teeth except the first molars, for which tylenol was more effective for some strange reason.</p>
<p>- on the days I was trying to avoid medication, I would take him out in the morning to somewhere where he could burn up a lot of energy for a couple of hours. He would be so physically exhausted, he'd fall asleep on the way home and stay asleep for at least a couple of hours.</p>
<p>- we discovered this, which may seem weird- if we played with our LO and got him to laugh solidly for 15 mins (tickling, or whatever works) before nap time, he would often have a good, deep, restful (unmedicated!) sleep for at least a couple of hours after that.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am now facing the same issue again, as his 2 yr molars are coming in (at only 19mths). I am again resorting to the above strategies, and it is helping him rest, and keeping me sane. Sorry you're going through this, but it will pass. And do give yourself a break as often as you can. Hang in there!</p>

·
Registered
156 Posts
<p>Oh man, I feel your pain! Unfortunately I don't have a lot of great advice, but *tons* of sympathy - my DD has some similarities. In order for her to sleep - fall asleep and stay asleep - she HAS to suck her fingers. She's had a cold for the past month now, and has been sleeping miserably... to the point where she looks completely exhausted (dark circles and bags under her eyes - poor thing). It's heartbreaking. We've just been trying to make her as comfortable as possible with a humidifier, saline drops, etc.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>A few days ago she got an ear infection on top of it all, and oddly enough, since she's been taking the amoxicillin she's been sleeping better (both at night and for naps). Her congestion has eased up somewhat, and I think she's finally sleeping better because she's more comfortable.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It sounds like you're doing all the right things, trying to figure out what's going on. And barring any other sickness (which you've already checked out), teething certainly seems like the reasonable culprit. Are there any other teething strategies that you have found helpful? Giving her stuff to gnaw on? (DD loves wet washcloths.) Hylands? Motrin/Ibuprofen? I think UmmLaith has some good suggestions above....</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think you're doing great. You LO is lucky to have such a caring mama.  :)</p>

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>Thanks for the thoughts. Umm Laith, my DD follows that pattern too where bad days are followed by some more manageable ones. I'll borrow your excellent strategy.  I especially appreciate the ideas on how to manage pain meds. We've been giving them to her more than I'm comfortable with mostly because I am at a loss of how to proceed otherwise. We've been giving them to her probably 5 out of 7 nights but never during the day (probably the reason she hardly naps), alternating between tylenol and ibuprophen. I can't see much difference to be honest. I alternate because different organs process them and so I figure it's better. I do give her Hylands during the day, but it doesn't do much when things are bad and doesn't seem to do anything at all for the molars. We also have a whole stash of frozen baby sports socks that she gnaws on regularly, along with carrots, apples, pears turnips and her favorite board books (we can't stop her!)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Teething is so strange. I had a friend who was sympathizing with my DD by invoking the pain of wisdom teeth. The funny thing is that mine never bothered me and my mom tells me I was an easy teether. Not so for poor DD and my friend who told me hers hurt so much coming in that she couldn't sleep at night.</p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
<p>Best of luck TH! Hope it ends sooner rather than later, and your LO is back to her happy bouncy self (and mom too!). I was apparently a horrible teether too, gave my mom a really hard time, so I guess this is my "pay back"! I'm just hoping number two goes easier on me.</p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
<p>I have started using an amber teething necklace since I saw your post. I was skeptical initially, and it took me a while to give in and buy one (in the name of desperation for anything that might help). He is currently teething 2nd molars, and has worn the necklace for a week. Although it has not stopped the pain, it does seem to be having some sort of effect on him. He is sleeping a little better (although still waking up- but no screams!), and his mood is not as bad as it used to be. I was still skeptical, so I took it off him two nights ago. He woke up in the middle of the night, crying and screaming for me. He had a very hard time falling back asleep, and was in a miserable mood all of the next morning. So even though I am not sure what exactly it is doing for him, it does seem to be helping. At least its not causing any harm, so I will keep it on him til all his teeth are done! It might be worth a try for your LO...</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts