Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the reasons I chose to breastfeed, is that I knew I had to work, and dd would have to go to daycare. I know daycares are germ magnets, not because I think they are unclean, just because of so many little ones all together.

Anyhow, I knew breastfeeding would supply dd with all of the extra immunity, and I knew that breastfed babies are sick less often, so I knew this would be the best option for us. My son was in daycare, and breastfed, and was never ill.

Well.... dd is sick constantly. She goes from one cold to another. We are working on our third ear infection in just a few months. What is wrong??? Is something wrong with my milk??? Is she not getting any immunity from me??? I am super super tired (dd nurses all night and I don't get more then 5 total hours of sleep per night) is this affecting my immunity?

I'm worried about her. Anyone else feel this way? I am a teacher, so I know I only have 10 weeks left (I'm off again today with her). I just feel so badly for her.

Leann

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Thr lack of sleep is probably not great for you, but don't beat yourself up - there is NOTHING WRONG with your milk, so long as baby is growing and thriving and having the normal wet and dirty dipes.

Some kids are just more prone to illnesses. Did she have a traumatic birth? Are you pumping? Is she getting any formula?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts

Immunities are not as foolproof when mom is not with baby. You're not being exposed to the same things she is so that your body will cue to make antibodies ahead of time.

The only other thought I have is- is she vaccinated?

good luck!

-Angela

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
We all know that breastfeeding lowers the risk of coming down with illnesses, but unfortunately that's it -- it lowers the risk. The risk will never be zero. Angela has a good point about how your baby is being exposed to some different germs than you are, which is maybe a contributing factor, but the sad fact is that sometimes babies are just going to get sick, whether you breastfeed or not. Your breastmilk is still good for your baby! Think of it this way -- there's no way to know for sure, but there's an excellent chance that without your BM she would have been even more sick, for longer, with more illnesses.

I know where you're coming from, because after my exclusively breastfed baby came down with RSV/MRSA pneumonia at age one month, I was very upset and kept saying, "I thought breastfeeding was supposed to prevent this kind of thing!" Well, it doesn't prevent, it just lowers the risk.

to you and I hope your little one gets through this rough patch soon. Cold and flu season is almost over so maybe that will help!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
breastfeeding doesn't lower the risk of anything, formula feeding increases the risk of sickness but kids do get sick no matter what, especially kids in daycare. alice gets sick anytime she is exposed to anything, it is part of being a baby. your milk is fine and you're doing a great thing for her.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothragirl View Post
breastfeeding doesn't lower the risk of anything, formula feeding increases the risk of sickness but kids do get sick no matter what, especially kids in daycare. alice gets sick anytime she is exposed to anything, it is part of being a baby. your milk is fine and you're doing a great thing for her.
Children are at risk for getting sick regardless of how they are fed. With breastfeeding the risk is lower; with formula feeding, the risk is higher. Is that acceptable wording for you?

We said more or less exactly the same thing in our posts, so I don't really see the point in getting hung up on semantics.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Same boat, here. DD is four months old and has had a runny nose/cold constantly for the past two months. She is EBF and with me at all times. She's never even had a bottle. DS, who is three, and not in school only play groups, is almost never sick.

She had a bad cough and finally took her to the doctor [she is not vaccinated], to make sure it wasn't something bad. Just a cold.

I was also wondering about the immunity from breast milk and about the fact that I am exposed to all the same things she is. I feel so badly that she has a stuffed up nose, I am taking as much vitamin c as I can, sodium ascorbate and emergen-c, giving her a few tabs of the hyland's c. We got a humidifier, squirt breast milk up her nose and sit with her in the shower a couple of times a day. She still has a runny nose. I'm just hoping this will confer some immunity down the line!

So I feel for you, it is so hard to see those little ones sick. I just keep stuffing her full of the good stuff, bm, and count the days until winter and cold season is over!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JanB View Post
Children are at risk for getting sick regardless of how they are fed. With breastfeeding the risk is lower; with formula feeding, the risk is higher. Is that acceptable wording for you?

We said more or less exactly the same thing in our posts, so I don't really see the point in getting hung up on semantics.
read this article, there is a reason to get hung up on semantics.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
That is a great article.

To the OP, a big part of it is probably her being exposed to different germs than you are. She still needs you to nurse her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.