Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should start by saying that I'm 37 1/2 weeks pg. My placenta is completely posterior and I am still pretty thin (135lbs).<br><br>
OK, for the last three (?) weeks maybe, I've been feeling this weird movement from the baby. It is rhythmic, but very gentle. It honestly feels like I have my hand on the back of a breathing newborn baby. It definately isn't hiccups! Hiccups are jerky and irregular, whereas this movement is rhythmic and gentle. It isn't my own pulse because the movements are only about 30-40 a minute and I've taken my own pulse during the 'weird movement' spells and they don't correlate. It is strange. I don't remember feeling anything like this with my ds, although I was much heavier and I just didn't feel alot of movement with him in general.<br><br>
I don't think it's anything to be worried about, yet I do find it strange. I mean, I would think some sort of seizure or something would produce tonic/clonic/ jerky movements, right?<br><br>
I only notice it when I lay down and am quiet and then it isn't every day. Maybe every other day or so, sometimes 2-3 times a night. The 'spells' last 5 minutes or so.<br><br>
I have heard that babies in utero practice breathing movements in the weeks prior to birth, could this be what I'm feeling? Because, honest to God, it feels like I'm feeling his chest or back rise and fall with respirations.<br><br>
I keep forgetting to mention this to my ob. I am getting weekly nst's because of a fairly potent anti-arrythmic I must take for my heart, so I know that the baby is reactive and healthy 'on paper', plus I just feel it in my gut.<br><br>
So, does anyone have any ideas or experiences that they can share with me??<br><br>
lisa

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I think it is the baby practice breathing! I have felt this with all of my pregnancies (well, not this one yet b/c I am only 23 weeks). It is a really cool feeling.<br><br>
Mel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts