Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing from my non homeschooling acquaintances about Christmas break and whatever will they do with their kids home all of the time? I often hear this during summer vacation as well. Drives me insane! What is an appropriate response? Why must they complain to me? They know my kids are always home all of the time. Does this bug anyone else?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Yes, and I've only got the one so far, and these people have preschoolers. Those six or eight hours a week that their kids are gone must really make a difference?? I just sort of smile and internally laugh. These are all women who have *chosen* to stay home with their kids, but sometimes you wonder why from the way they talk.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekblad7+
I keep hearing from my non homeschooling acquaintances about Christmas break and whatever will they do with their kids home all of the time? I often hear this during summer vacation as well. Drives me insane! What is an appropriate response? Why must they complain to me? They know my kids are always home all of the time. Does this bug anyone else?

I just want to
when I hear moms say that. Of course they must say that right IN FRONT of the children
:

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Drives me nuts. I *want* to say "Hellooo! These are your children. You should be excited that they are home and you can spend time together, duh!" I usually just say something like, "Really? Wow, I really enjoy being with my kids. We always find something to do. I can't imagine not knowing what to do with them."

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I'm not alone here. And who says there has to be a million structured activities. How about board games and stories? Building with blocks and legos. Hanging out with a cup of hot chocolate? That's why I love homeschooling, we can do those things anytime!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Yes I get those comments too. I have friends who literally count down the day until school starts again. I don't know what to say to these people- I don't think they will ever have the mindset to enjoy thier kids.

·
Registered
727 Posts
ugh! I can't imagine how the kids feel... I just respond with "I'm sure you have lots of books you could read together" or "if you'd like to borrow some board games we have plenty" What is it with our society and thinking that kids have to be in a directed activity every minute of the day. Boredm breeds creativity.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yes, I get this too. Even when my kids were in school, I was excited to have them home all the time for summers and vacations.

I think, though, I know one reason why people say this: It really is harder to have schooled kids home for vacations than it is to have homeschooled kids home all the time. It's like the schooled kids are having mini-deschooling experiences: they and the parents really don't know what to do with themselves when they are home together all day. So, the kids act out more, and the parents - not having developed the tools for dealing with bored kids at home - feel frustrated and at a loss.

I have several friends who ask me this in the summer: How can you do this all the time, when I can hardly even get through a summer with them? And I explain to them - In the summer, your kids are deschooling. My kids have already deschooled, so we don't go through all that boredom, and acting out stuff anymore. Simple!

Laura

·
Registered
955 Posts
You know though that their kids have been trained to be entertained for many hours of the week. They are "on" their parents and edgy in a way that hs'ers rarely are. I say this because many of my son's PreK friends come over with a "what's next on the entertainment docket" attitude, and that is fatiguing. Maybe there is some way to state a response that captures that . . . just some thoughts, no answers.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thmom
ugh! I can't imagine how the kids feel...
We had a family dinner yesterday and I was asked about homeschooling. There was this big conversation with many "I couldn't stand being home with my kids all day!" laments.

Funny, there's nowhere I'd rather be.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Are these all SAHMs that say this? Because for parents who work outside the home, what to do with the kids during school breaks IS a really big deal.

But for SAHPs, I agree -- your kids are at school all year long, wouldn't you enjoy the extra time during the day with them?

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasha_girl
We had a family dinner yesterday and I was asked about homeschooling. There was this big conversation with many "I couldn't stand being home with my kids all day!" laments.

Funny, there's nowhere I'd rather be.

I really don't like it when people say they couldn't stand being home with their kids all day. I feel like that is such a mean thing to say.

And yes, for WOHM's what to do with the kids would be an issue. But for SAHP's it shouldn't be such a big deal.

I agree about the deschooling thing, though. That would be a pain!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I find that very sad too. I love being with my kids! I guess if they are nor used to being around each other, it would be hard. People that question my homeschooling usually do so on the basis that I need a break. As if that's impossible when HS.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Maybe just tactfully suggest the museum, the zoo, whatever. Or tell how your kids had a great time making something out of a cardboard box recently, or how you went to the library and came home with a stack of books.

Darshani

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hear this all the time. One parent actually said she hates the holidays. because her kids are home.

I just said I love being with my kids. If I did not want to spend time with them I woud not have had them.

The worst thing I heard was I could not stand being home with the kids.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
some mamas I know were talking about this very thing. I was astonished! I couldn't believe they were saying it in front of their kids. I would think that they would be very happy indeed to have family time.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.