Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is 2.5 and we have had the worst days lately
I am so upset with him for his behavior and myself because I'm not handling situations well. I've looked at the GD reading list, but is there a single book y'all think is the best place to start? I haven't done much reading about GD, I just know that I won't hit him and time-out type situations don't seem to make much difference to DS.

Within the past few days he has learned how to get in and out of the tub by himself. The first time I realized he could do this, he sneaked out of the tub, grabbed my purse off the counter, jumped back into the tub, and submerged my purse. My checkbook, pictures, money, cosmetics...everything soaked. Also this week he has refused to keep clothes on and has started peeing in the heat vents. Last week he pulled the plastic sink drain stopper out of the bathroom sink and flushed it down the toilet while I was a few feet away talking on the phone. Often when I try to stop him with my hand by pulling him away from something, even if I'm barely even touching him, he yells "Stop hurting me!" It's not that funny when you're in the middle of the store.
: He absolutely delights in these behaviors and I just don't know what to do! When DH comes home from work I am pissed off, which puts DH in a bad mood. This is a horrible cycle!

The worst part is that I find myself letting him watch a video to give us both a break. I am not parenting the way I want to! I know he needs more exercise, but I don't want to reward negative behavior with a fun trip to the park. Plus, watching him flop around on the ground screaming for me to stop hurting him isn't very appealing.

How am I supposed to react when he does these things? How am I supposed to prevent them from happening? I can't watch him every second of the day, and he needs some independence. I can't put a latch on every single door and every single cabinet. I've asked my friends about what they did when their children pulled stunts like this, and apparently their children never did "anything that bad." UGH! PLEASE HELP!

(BTW, before I get slammed for leaving my almost 3 year old in the tub alone, he only has a few inches of water, we talk and sing, and I'm only a few feet away.)

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the reassurance! I do need to reframe my thinking about this and read up on the subject. I'm going to the library tonight!

I also have a feeling that DS has a wheat sensitivity. We have an appointment with the Dr. tomorrow at my insistence. DH maintains he saw no improvement when we tried to take wheat out of DS's diet, and I think there was great improvement. He has been eating wheat for the last two weeks or so, as a trial and since he has to have it in his system for the tests I want done.

But now, we're going outside to play

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.