Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,997 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemiola View Post
is there a single book y'all think is the best place to start?
Yes! Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn .

Quote:

Within the past few days he has learned how to get in and out of the tub by himself. The first time I realized he could do this, he sneaked out of the tub, grabbed my purse off the counter, jumped back into the tub, and submerged my purse. My checkbook, pictures, money, cosmetics...everything soaked. Also this week he has refused to keep clothes on and has started peeing in the heat vents. Last week he pulled the plastic sink drain stopper out of the bathroom sink and flushed it down the toilet while I was a few feet away talking on the phone.
I am sorry... but I can't stop laughing... I am so sorry - but it sounds so-o-o 2.5! And what a little scientist you have on your hands

Quote:

Often when I try to stop him with my hand by pulling him away from something, even if I'm barely even touching him, he yells "Stop hurting me!" It's not that funny when you're in the middle of the store.
O-o-oh, this sounds like my "drama-queen" DD

Quote:

The worst part is that I find myself letting him watch a video to give us both a break.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with parents taking a little break while the child watches a video! It's not like you plop him next to the TV for the whole day.

Quote:

I know he needs more exercise, but I don't want to reward negative behavior with a fun trip to the park.
No no no no! You are not rewarding anything! At 2.5 they do not know what "behaviour" is (and don't have to!) Taking him to the park, letting him run the energy that you described so picturesque above is just what both of you need! The more the better!

During this age (and for some time after too
) kids respond WAY better when presented with what TO do than when told what NOT to do.

Human beings are wired to learn learn learn as much as they can in the beginning of their lives, despite what the mother, or father, or outside traffic, or common sense (which only STARTS to develop) tells them! They are little physicists at that age. "What does the water do?' "How does a toilet work?" "Oh cool, I can control where I pee!"

We, parents sometimes assign ourselves too much "importance"
Kids do not do this stuff to piss us off. They actually are not even thinking about us when they do that. They are too busy growing up, exploring the world, and performing one experiment after another. AND they do not have much control over this desire. AND this is good, because otherwise we would never learn!

Childproofing is a necessary evil nowadays. But even more important is finding the ways of safe and fullfilling exploration and development.

Go to the park mama
You have such a delightful kid

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.