Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,629 Posts
It sounds to me like your son is a little bit frustrated, probably bored (hey, peeing in the vents isn't my idea of a good time, but it was probably entertaining to him), needs some more exercise, but a lot of it is that he's just 2.5.

Don't worry about rewarding him by taking him to the park. When we're having one of those awful days, just about the worst thing I can do is stay home. It's so much better if we get out and go to the playground, go running in a big field, go throw pebbles in the lake, go to the zoo, something! It helps reset both of us and get us out of the negative pattern. The key is to pick an activity where he'll have fun and it won't be too stressful for you.

Try not to worry what others think when he yells, "Stop hurting me!" If he doesn't keep getting a rewarding reaction from you for doing it, he'll eventually stop. Just very calmly continue doing what you're doing, and calmly tell him, "We don't throw toys." (or whatever's appropriate obviously!) If I heard a child yelling that in a store, I'd look over, and if the mom seemed calm and gentle but firm, I wouldn't give it a second thought. I'd only pay more attention if I really saw someone hauling a child away by one arm or pulling them by the ear

I'd also really focus on keeping a really close eye on him for the next couple of weeks. Don't be far enough away that he can do something like that with your purse or the heat vent or whatever. It will be a major pain in the neck to shadow him, but a week or two of it could really change the dynamic. When he does get up to something he shouldn't, be gentle but firm and redirect, redirect, redirect!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.