Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS, 18 mos has been VERY difficult lately, and I'm totally losing it. I have been yelling, and come VERY close to spanking him
:
:

I just don't know what to do. Here is a few examples:

Its naptime, I tell him we're going up to take a nap, we get into bed and he runs around jumping and acting crazy. But, he IS tired, and it IS naptime. I usually pick him up and lay him down, and say "put your head on your pillow, it's time to sleep" He'll get up, run around, yell NO NO NO! I get sooo frustrated that I want to hold him down onto the bed and make him sleep (obviously that's terrible and would never work anyhow....)

He has also been obsessed with climbing up on top of the table, and climbing up the stairs. It's VERY exhausting to be chasing him all over. On top of that, he touches EVERYTHING he's not supposed to, and has little to no interest in any of his toys.

He's obviously bored, this I know, and I know what he's doing is pretty common at 18 mos. I just don't know how to be gentle effectively.

I do NOT want to be a yelling mom, but lately I have been
:

Please help me be a better mom to my babies

· Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by straighthaircurly View Post
Do you have a night time bed routine? We used the same routine for naps as we did for bedtime at that age. Diaper change, read 3 books, dim the lights (we have blackout shades or he never would have taken a nap), snuggle 10 minutes and then I leave. He needs consistent cues and routine to help him turn off his brain and body so if you have something that works at night I recommend using it at nap too.
No, not really. We change his diaper, then I lay down and snuggle him until he falls asleep (most of the time I fall asleep too lol)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
Let go of the idea of forcing him to sleep. No one can be forced to sleep. He is probably ready to drop his naps.
If he is touching things to ge your attention, then it sounds like he wants more human interaction, not just different toys, kwim?
Is there a playgroup you could join?
I don't think he is ready to drop his naps. I mean, his eyes get all red, and he rubs them, and yawns. I do feel he needs more human interaction, its just me and him all day, everyday, and there is no playgroup in my area (with the exception of a very disturbing church group to which I will never return)
It's hard b/c we are a 1 car family at the moment, and I live in a tiny little town in southern Minnesota, and it's getting hard for us to walk anywhere (now that I'm almost 34 weeks pregnant)

Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post

He's still just a baby. You're simply expecting unrealistic behavior of him.

Change your expectations.

-Angela

What should I be expecting? I know I do expect too much, but it's not like I expect to NOT touch things, just that he is incessant, it is constant, and there is nowhere else to put this stuff, so I can't just move it somewhere inaccessible. What am I supposed to do when he refuses his naps? Just let him be awake and tired, and cranky? I feel at a loss right now.

· Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
Is he overtired? There are a few kids who are ready to drop naps at 18 months, but most kids by far still need them. The running around and being unable to settle down could be related to overtiredness.

Has his night time sleep changed any? Is he going to bed later or earlier or waking earlier or later? These could all affect his napping.

I'd definitely make sure you have a very consistent, calming routine. Since it's taking so long to settle him, I'd start a bit earlier. That always helps me stay calmer when I know I've allowed lots of extra time.

A lot of kids respond well when they know what to plan on. So, in the morning, you could talk about your plans for the day. When it's getting close to naptime (maybe an hour away to when you start the process), mention that in about an hour, you'll be heading up for nap. Bring it up a few times so he's planning on it.

When we've gone through rough napping spells, I've sometimes talked to DS about the fun thing/yummy snack/etc. that he can have/do after he takes a nap. Then I'll plan something fun, but we'll only have time to do it if he falls asleep quickly. Your DS may still be too young for this, but some kids will respond well by that age. A lot won't, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Another thought, a lot of kids drop their second nap somewhere around 15-18 months or so. Is that a factor for your son? I remember that was a hard transition, but I'd often put him down a little earlier to head off the wild, falling totally apart stage.

And it will get better. Hang in there. Even just thinking of how you'll handle it can help you feel calmer when you're dealing with it.

I find changing my mindset helps a lot. Remember, he's still so young. You know he needs sleep, so it's your job to figure out how to make it happen. But he's excited because there's so much in the world to see and do! Trying to avoid battles the rest of the day (use distraction! put the things he can't touch away! give him lots of chances to run and climb in ok places!) might help the nap battles, or at least give you more patience for them.

He goes to bed everynight between 8 and 9, and gets up every morning between 7 and 7:30, so I doubt he is overtired (although I very much am lol)

He does know when naptime is coming, it is usually after lunch, then we bathe (after every meal we bathe b/c he is VERY messy lol) then usually its naptime, although if he slept in later than usual we play for a bit, then nap.

Second Nap?!?! Since when do I get one of those lol, he naps each afternoon for an hour, and hasn't napped twince in one day since he was about 9 or 10 months old!!

I know I can't expect him to actually do what I have planned, but I don't know how to respond to him when he doesn't, so that one day he will....kwim?

· Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2much2luv View Post
There is lots of great advice here already, but I just wanted to see if it was possible to gate off the stairs so you'd have one less thing to worry about.

Yes, it would be possible, but I would have to have something custom made that would attach with screws and hinges, we have an open staircase, and that bannister is odd-shaped at the bottom, and the baseboard on the other side makes it really weird, I've tried all sorts of gates, and nothing works therte.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.