Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cross posted this in the N&GE forum and Special Needs, too. I really, really could use some help! (And if it makes any difference, DS2 has dust mite and pet allergies, too.)<br><br>
__________________________________________________ _____________<br><br>
DS2 was just diagnosed with dairy and wheat allergies. I've suspected them for awhile, so we started with allergy testing, and then an elimination diet. DS1 has Celiac disease, so the wheat thing is not entirely unexpected, and I would know how to deal with that, but ...<br><br>
DS2 has serious food issues. He absolutely refuses to eat meat beyond bacon and spaghetti sauce made with ground beef. But now he can't eat wheat, he won't touch rice pasta anymore, and he is refusing spaghetti squash now, as well. He won't eat eggs in any eggy form. He pretty much refuses all vegetables -- he eats them, he just doesn't know it, because I do things like puree them and add them to spaghetti sauce. But now we're back to whether or not he'll eat anything that he <i>can</i> eat with the spaghetti sauce, and he won't eat the sauce by itself. He won't eat beans, in any way, shape, or form. He refuses to eat citrus fruits. He won't eat nuts that look like nuts -- he'll eat Lara bars, but not an almond or pecans, even if they're baked into bread or in oatmeal. Hell, lately he's been refusing oatmeal, too.<br><br>
DS2 LOVES carbs, fruit, and dairy products like yogurt and cheese. But even those things have to be the "right" kind, and he can tell the difference, regardless of what I do. Like, he won't eat my homemade yogurt anymore, and he won't eat Nancy's brand -- he can taste the difference, even when mixed with berries and stevia and a touch of honey -- he prefers Stonyefield farm, and I can't mix anything like additional probiotics into it. He'd REALLY prefer if I'd get the sweetened fruit type, but I absolutely refuse.<br><br>
What DS2 will eat one day or week, he refuses the next, and then won't eat again, no matter how many times I serve it. He used to like eggs, now won't eat them. He used to love my smoothies, and I got a lot of good nutrition into him that way, but now he won't eat those either. He used to like carrots, now he won't touch them. It's so frustrating! I am at such a loss as to what to do next, especially as I want to maintain a healthy, whole foods, traditional diet. And I don't want him to develop more allergies because he'll only eat a few things.<br><br>
No dairy yogurt (he'll sometimes, <i>sometimes</i>, eat coconut milk yogurt), no cheese (and he LOVES cheese, and it was on of his only sources of protein), no milk, no wheat bread or pasta (and he won't eat the gluten-free options) or tortillas or any other wheat product, no meat, no veggies, no eggs, no beans. He has some other minor fruit allergies, as well, so WTF?

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I don't know-- that sounds really really tough given all the food restrictions. Is there any way to see a nutritionist? Maybe they would have some suggestions for a diet that he is willing to eat to get the proper vitamins. I would suggest daily vitamins for sure.<br><br>
Does he like mashed potatoes? They are a good source of carbs and some vitamins. Does he like smoothies at all? Ice cream? You can make good home-made ice cream with soy or rice milk, a bit of sweetener, and hide some fruits in it. I don't know if Probiotics die in ice cream or not but it might be worth investigating. You can freeze fruit juices and soy milk and then crush it in the blender like a snow cone, too.<br><br>
He might benefit from some feeding therapy. Especially with the sensory issues going on, feeding therapy would be a big help. With my oldest who was dx with SID (now seems to have outgrown it or moved past it for the most part) we would do things like read a book and only turn the page if she took a bite. With my little one to get her to eat we would sometimes use the pause button on the DVD the same way. It's not ideal and it's not really that healthy but at least they were able to eat and grow, KWIM?<br><br>
There are some posts here about taking digestive enzymes and how that helps allergies and food intolerances. It's something I'm looking into right now for my dd2 who has all the feeding issues and allergy stuff. Right now she has a feeding tube and gets most of her nutrition through elemental medical food. Otherwise I'm not sure what I would do. ((HUGS)) to you, mama.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I really think if you cut out absolutely all dairy and gluten, he'll start eating more of a variety. We deal w/ a lot of food allergies in my house as well, including my own, and I know when I cheat and eat some of a food I'm allergic to, I start to crave it and that's ALL I want to eat. And this, of course, is damaging to your body, so you're uncomfortable. The endorphins from the allergic reaction cause a temporary "high" so you feel good after eating a bad food. This also explains the cravings. Does that make sense?<br><br>
Get all of the dairy and gluten out of the house so you're not tempted to give in and feed it to him. He'll start to detox after a few days, and hopefully after that, he'll eat more.<br><br>
I'm surprised he can tell the difference between rice and wheat pasta. What kind do you buy? I think Tinkyada pastas are the best, but I don't like their spaghetti. It's too thick. Will he eat other shapes of pasta? My kids mostly eat penne. I've seen some fun shaped rice pastas before, although I haven't tried them. Do you think something like that may help?<br><br>
I think rewarding him for eating is a good idea. I know it sounds bad b/c people don't want to cause feeding issues, but hey, he already HAS feeding issues, so it's worth it if it gets him to eat, right?<br><br>
Is he in OT? Have you talked to his OT about ways to get him to eat? My 2 ASD kids don't have feeding issues, but our OT seemed surprised by that. I think she was used to having to work w/ kids on that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts