Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend just had her second baby 5 weeks early and is going to try to CD him.

He is only 5 lbs and so, so little. I have sent her 12 n/b contours 6 of which will probably fit him now and 6 medium little lambs AIOs, 2 misc WAHM AIOs in size small and a cuddlebuns fitted and 2 n/b Bumpy night covers. The only things that will probably fit are the 6 n/b contours I made her.

So what are some good INEXPENSIVE (she has been off work on bedrest since 18 weeks) diapers and covers for a baby that tiny? If he is anything like his 3 1/2 year old sister he will be little for a long time. She was only 10 lbs at 3 months old.

I am so excited she is going to try to CD and I want to help her make it work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Awwww how sweet...an internet friend of mine had her baby at 28 wks gestation and he was super tiny...he is about to go home now and is 6 pounds and she is so excited to use the diapes I sent her...they look so tiny almost like a doll diaper...

I think the Little Lambs are a very good choice...they are not quite so "overwhelming" if you will for that tiny of a babe...my baby was big and I used Little Lambs and Simply Cloth. Good luck and I hope she loves CD'ing

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
My ds was also 5 weeks early- 6lb 2 oz and nb little lambs fit very well. He's now 7 1/2 lb. I will probably be selling mine (around 15 or so) not too expensive- PM me if interested.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I just asked this in my thread recently about having my bb at 34 weeks hypothetically....

I basically was told.... NOTHING.... preemie CPFS will work, but nothing fitted really does much till the baby is bigger bc the elastic just makes it bulky and in the way.

Good luck to her!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have two newborn Little Lambs ( www.cutest-cloth-diapers.com ) side-snapping AIOs that my daughter uses as doll diapers. They are TINY. I'd think they would probably fit a 6-pound baby, maybe even a 5-pounder. They are not the most absorbent dipes I've tried, but for a newborn they'd probably be fine. And they are relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have a 5 pounder! For the price and availability I recommend Nanipoos. The Kissauv 0s also work well. If you have lots of $$ and even more time, fluffymail 0s :LOL.

I also use preemis cpfs and bummi wraps. I can use the bumpy nb, but they are still big.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
ive never had a tiny babe to diaper, but i did just wash my dozen preemie prefolds, and i suggest them for a tiny baby. there is very little chance these will ever fit an 8 lber (my last was 8- 10) i think they truly are perfect for preemies.

how great of you to help her out!

tabitha

·
Registered
669 Posts
All 3 of my kiddos were under 6 lbs and I looove my newborn snapdragons. I got 13 of them with a wool cover for $120. That could have taken care of us for the first 3 or 4 months (of course I was not so frugal, so I bought more stuff!!) They never leaked poo, and fit like a dream!!! Even smaller than the Kissaluvs 0's (which were huge on my newborns) and even cuter!!!

Good Luck!!

I also used Kustom Cool Cats NB sized wool soakers, and made a few bum sweaters in the beginning. I wanna try some nb sized cuddlebuns next time, though.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm another big fan of preemie CPFs. I thing they work the best. You could buy a dozen of each preemie and infant standard. That would get her thru the first 4 or 5 months. Another option (and a good nighttime diaper) is the Extra small fuzzi bunz. I've never had to cd such a small baby, but that is my strategy for the next one (off in the distant horizon).

Tell her congrats from us and we wish her all the best!! Maybe she can post some pics when she gets more settled at home!

-Melissa

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much ladies! I thought about preemie CPFs too but she is worried about her husband (the folding factor). What are the dimentions of a PCPF?

Do you think if I made her some in that same size out of hemp jersey they would work? How many layers? Would 3x6x3 work well enough for a newborn?

Does everyone pretty much thing Bummis n/b wraps are the best? Do they have gussets? Are proraps n/b wraps good?

I never cded a baby that tiny either! Maxi was 8 lbs. 5 oz at birth and small stuff fit right away.

Shelbean -- I PMed you and I am in Mesa too so if she wants them maybe we could just meet to pick them up!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max's Mami

Does everyone pretty much thing Bummis n/b wraps are the best? Do they have gussets? Are proraps n/b wraps good?

Bummis don't have gussets and might still be a bit large for awhile on 5 pounds. Proraps newbon colors are tiny, tiny and have gussets. dd was 6 pounds and they only lasted on her for 2 weeks, then we moved to bummis newborns at about 7 pounds. both worked great with trifolded preemie prefold.

for a tiny wrap, I'd go with a couple of prorap colors, and a bummis newborn for later on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.