Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to addall.com to find Guerrilla Learning, and almost hit the "add to my cart" button and it says, people who bought this book also bought these books: *listed several other reads* Dumbing us Down, The Unschooling Handbook, etc. Well, I can't afford to buy all of those, so are there some essentials I should get now? And others that could wait? I have no books on Unschooling right now, just a head full of ideas!

TIA!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Guerilla Learning is not really an unschooling book. It's more of a book that describes how families with children still in school for whatever reason can still get some of the benefits of unschooling.

If you want to know *why* to unschool: John Holt (esp. Teach Your Own), John Taylor Gatto (esp. Dumbing Us Down) , David Guterson - Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense.

If you want to know *how* to unschool: The Unschooling Handbook by Mary Griffiths will get you started. If you want to know how to unschool your preteen/teen: The Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn.

If you want to begin to unschool yourself: The Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn.

One of the best places to learn why and how to unschool? This forum.
One more thing. When I first stated homeschooling, I ran out and bought books. Later, I checked the education and parenting sections of our public library. Guess what? They had Llewellyn (even Guerilla Learning), Holt, Gatto, Guterson, and many others.

If you haven't noticed by now, I am a bibliophile. I have read many other books on homeschooling - several of which are great - but the ones listed above are fairly essential reading in my book LOL!

Happy reading!

Laura

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
I totally recommend the public library too! I was going to list all the same authors that the above poster did lol. Holt, Llewellyn, Unschool book by Mary Griffiths.. all terrific
Kristi

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a bunch! I'm going to make the pilgrimage into town today and go to the library so I'll write those down and see if they've got any!

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
I love Unschooling.com !! Im also on the discussion list too, but havent been there much lately. Kristi

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yay! thanks mamas! My library had all the books you mentioned, well, 2 are checked out, but I put them on hold!

off to read...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey....you're over here, too. Glad you're here! I will also add three of my favorite unschoolish magazines. Life Learning, Home Education Magazine (HEM) and any of the Growing Without Schooling back issues. I don't think the Durango library has any of these but when you travel to Farmington the new library carries HEM. HEM also has a website that posts many of the articles from back issues. Enjoy exploring !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts