Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Microfiber towels are known to the mainstream public as car towels. These are the funny feeling towels that they sell for auto detailing. If you go into walmart, sam's club, or costco and ask about microfiber car towels, they should have no trouble guiding you right to them.

These are very inexpensive (.30 to 1.00 dollar per towel), very durable, and are quite absorbant.

A word of caution is that many people believe that these towels will dry out baby's skin, so always use a layer of something else (preferably microfleece) right up against the baby. Flannel or cotton are also fine for this extra layer.

I use two layers of microfiber as a sewn-in soaker pad in my fitted diapers. As my external soakers/pocket inserts/doublers I use three to 8 layers depending on the situation.

HTH!

·
Banned
2,018 Posts
I dislike microfiber immensely - it feels funny on the skin and doesn't even really absorb, it just traps moisture between the fibers which can lead to major odor retention over time that is next to impossible to remove. Bleck. They're 100% man made so I don't feel like they're "natural" at all and well I'll get off my soap box now.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I tend to agree with Moonbucket now. When I started making diapers I was so thrilled to find them for like 25 cents each at Sam's club and I thought I was getting such a bargain. It is the same stuff that MOE uses on their Fuzzibunz inserts. (Well, different brand, and it's white, whereas the auto cleaner towels are usually blue or yellow.) But after using them a bit, I began to really hate them. They bother my hands like crazy. And they really stink when peed on, which isn't so convenient for a diaper!

But, some people really love them. They are super absorbent, although, as Jessica said, not really absorbent, but they do trap a LOT of moisture. And you can't beat the price. But even this cheap-girl won't be using them again.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonbucket
I dislike microfiber immensely - it feels funny on the skin and doesn't even really absorb, it just traps moisture between the fibers which can lead to major odor retention over time that is next to impossible to remove. Bleck. They're 100% man made so I don't feel like they're "natural" at all and well I'll get off my soap box now.
Yup, I have to agree... I was very excited at first, but have found that they don't absorb NEARLY as much as my hemp and cotton inserts. Perhaps I am not buying the correct towels, though, who knows. They are great for cleaning windows, I am finding out!

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm using microfiber now for pocket stuffers, and they're internal soakers on a lot of my fitteds. They work really well for absorbtion, but they are most definitely not natural, and I'll probably use something different for my next batch.

I definitely got a smell after a little while with the microfiber. I know this will probably cut the life of the towel down, but after I wash them, before drying, I nuke each one in the microwave for about a minute and a half. It gets rid of the smell for quite a while. I just do it again when it gets bad. I figure since I'm going to switch to something else anyway, it doesn't matter if the towels wear out.

Now i just need to figure out what to switch to. I've had even worse stinkage with hemp
:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I'm still really happy with my diapers made with microfiber towels...I prefer to use "natural" fabrics when I can and I'd love to always have hemp on hand. Right now almost all my son's fitteds are made with microfiber/flannel soakers and they have worked great for a year now. I don't really have any problem with stinking, as long as I use vinegar in the rinse.
That said, I *hate* the way they feel and they make a huge mess when you start cutting into them. I would rather use hemp or burley knit terry or sherpa.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.