Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all wise mamas-
DD is 6 mo. and has a strong interest in food-she's only had breast milk...Please don't say cereal!!!

What are some good choices to start with????

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
:

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
LOL

Well, dfs's first food was a tiny little piece of lettuce (he continues to love the stuff). He was really interested in the sandwich I was eating, and it seemed like a fine way to start...and good roughage (sp?) for the intestines.

From there, he's had tastes (and very recently even small "snacks") of all kinds of stuff he's shown interest in...everything from vegetable curry to burrito to fruits of many types to salad veggies and the list goes on. At first we gave dfs only a single ingredient at a time, but we felt comfortable not long afterward to let him have foods with multiple ingredients. If he had shown signs of a bad reaction to a food, we could have narrowed it down. It's not like any one food (home made) on average has more than 10 or so ingredients, and some will always be ingredients he's had before.

I figure what is important at this time when the amounts that he actually ingests are so miniscule, is variety and having a chance to get a taste for the things we eat. We do avoid big doses of allergens, and we don't give major allergens such as peanuts, but other than that, it's all just bits from off our plates.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thepeach80
We always start w/ sweet potatos, bananas, and avacados.
:

Those are the 3 we're planning to start with! And then maybe turkey, for the iron. But I'm not sure.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Squash is in season so we just started there. I think I started with Buttercup, apple sauce, then Butternut, sweet potatoes, green beans, bannana, pears....I sort of go to the store and buy what is one sale. I just bought some Cauliflower, that will be next.

My favorite grain (when you are ready) is Millet. It is high in iron and easy to prepare. Just grind it in the blender and then roast it in a cast iron pan (to get even more iron) and slowly pour water (stirring) until you get a good thickness (a bit wetter than you want as it will thicken) and cook for a few minutes until it is soft all through. Cool with a frozen cube of pureed something and serve.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
we started with bananas & avocado, although i've since learned that if there is latex allergy in the family you might want to delay these a bit longer (they are both part of the latex family of plants). then we added sweet potato, which he loved, and carrot, which he was pretty mediocre about. pear was another good one (and is in season now) which he loved.

we waited on grains until he really took to eating solids and introduced oatmeal (scottish, not the boxed baby cereal), then barley, then brown rice. then we added in some legumes (split pea or lentils), and when he started working on his molars, we added in some chicken and turkey. we waited on applesauce for a while since my partner sometimes doesn't agree with apples. peaches, nectarines, plums, and grapes (sliced up into tiny chunks) came when he liked eating pieces of stuff.

~claudia

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nora'sMama
:

Those are the 3 we're planning to start with! And then maybe turkey, for the iron. But I'm not sure.
Just a heads up...

Babies shouldn't have meat until 10 months and even then, only about once a week or so since it is really hard to digest.

There is Iron in lots of foods! Look here for more ideas.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
We started with mashed up banana. Avocado and sweet potato were good early foods for us, too. Watch out with the mashed banana though...dd loved it, but it constipated her like crazy (she probably wasn't quite ready, though we waited until she was 6.5 months).

Sheri
Reese (12-22-04)

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroChik
Just a heads up...

Babies shouldn't have meat until 10 months and even then, only about once a week or so since it is really hard to digest.

There is Iron in lots of foods! Look here for more ideas.
there is no hard and fast time frame to start giving a child meat. from what i've learned, the best marker that they are ready for something more protein-rich like meat is their teeth and how many and which ones they have. teething changes the biochemical components of the digestive system and enhances digestion. when they start getting their one-year molars, children are generally in need of more protein-rich foods, like egg, cheese, legumes, whole grains, and maybe even meat.

and when introducing meat, be sure to offer only organic meat for at least the first few weeks or so. the way meat is "digested" is basically by rotting within the gut, and to minimize the amount of hormones and environmental chemicals your body absorbs, it is best to offer organics when introducing meat. many people believe that eating only organic meat is the healthiest, and that meat should not be a main component of the diet.

~claudia

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
On the note of meat, I have been reading enough to make me feel comfortable introducing most any foods my family eats as my particular child seems ready to go "to the next level," rather than following a schedule of foods to introduce one after another. A recent article from the Associated Press, which was posted here, was written based on a review of literature (studies) about introduction of solid foods, and this review indicated that there is not sufficient evidence to support not giving babies the food you eat, provided that food is nutritious. If I remember correctly, another article recently posted included a study showing that meats are great as an early food, and much better than iron-fortified baby cereals.

In my family we do not eat meat.

Today my dfs had his 6 month check-up/well baby exam (he's actually just over 6 1/2 months), and the doctor recommended starting meats as a possible source of iron. When I told him we didn't eat meat, he said that if we were willing to give dfs meat even though we don't eat it (we are not willing!), to do it. He said that organic is great. When I informed him that I would not give dfs meat, organic or not, he said it would be fine as our dear foster baby is on iron-fortified formula. I was curious what he would have recommended I do (iron supplements???) if I was breastfeeding.

I do disagree periodically with our pediatrician, and I don't see his word as the be-all-end-all in the least, but I did find it interesting that he recommended meats as a good food to start at 6 months. Seems to be a trend these days, perhaps given recent research.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I like the sweet potato, banana, avacado suggestions. Right now my babe isn't old enough, but I'm cooking up pumpkins now while they are available and freezing the mashed pulp for later. One pumpkin goes a loooong way!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I also have read a lot indicating that meats are a good early food as they are a natural source of readily availible iron (not sprayed on like infant food)
My ped suggested meat be begun near the beginning of solids for this reason and all four of my children had no problems with meat.
Better meat than Iron drops IMO.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
If Iron is a concern, not only are there better digestible foods than meat but a simple prick blood test can reveal anemia. Most breastfed babies do not need to worry about anemia. I would never ever use iron drops unless I had to. Too many other ways to bring iron up naturally.

Check this out on iron and breastmilk:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

I think it was best said in this forum somewhere that one should probably go by the type of teeth that are in. Another words, if it takes certain teeth to chew up food, then it's probably best to WAIT
until those teeth come in. This is only common sense to me. I would not give a baby meat at 6 months. I don't mean to come across mean at all, just want to inform, but using the argument that some babies turn out fine because they had meat or grains early doesn't mean it is healthy for all. Grains are bad to have too early in the system of people who have a lineage of diabetes or allergies.

I found this book very helpful in not only the health of my child but also the nutrition information for myself (it goes in depth what children need in their diets as they grow compared to adults):

http://www.cure-guide.com/Child_Heal...lth_guide.html

Here is what he recommends as solid foods intro:

http://www.cure-guide.com/Child_Heal...roduction.html

If you wish to wait, just feeding breastmilk is fine too. I started to feed my baby food at 4 months due to ped pushing. Thankfully I was smart enough to only do all organic avocado, sweet potato, banana. I did it for about a month. Since then, I've done a plethora of reading about babies and their internal gut systems and how they mature. I then stopped feeding solids to my baby. My baby is now 8 months old thriving on just my breast milk alone.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.