Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are so many types of exercise out there and i was just wondering if anyone knows what is best for weight loss. I have trying to do half and half with cardo and weight training. I tought that would work and i have't lost anything yet. I am doing a few videos and walking, i also have resistance bands i do. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
A combination of weight training and cardio is perfect. You're building muscle and burning fat. Just make sure you're watching your calories and drinking plenty of water. It will come off slowly but surely! Keep it up!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that was what was best. I have been doing slimfast, cut out all pop and drink tons of water so i guess everything will be alright. I was worried cause i always heard you should loose the most the first week and i have been doing this for about a week and half and haven't lost anything. i was getting discouraged. I will give it a month before i quit this and try something else.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I know a PP said to watch your calories, and I agree, but at the same time I want to caution not to cut your calories too much. In my experience, if I really cut calories, I don't lose fat, because I've put my body into "starvation mode". It hangs on to the fat because it thinks it's going to need it, as it's obviously not going to be getting the fuel it needs for everyday use. KWIM?

Personally, I'd skip the Slimfast. All of the shakes have sugar in them, not to mention vegetable oils, both of which will be stored as fat in your body. You'd be much better off eating fresh, whole foods, the closer to their natural state the better, i.e. not processed, refined foods. AND avoiding sugar and white flour products, as they will become additional fat.

One more thing I wanted to mention -- if you are doing serious weight training, you will be gaining muscle at the same time you are losing fat. If that is the case, your scale may not be the most accurate way to determine your true fat loss. How you feel, your energy level, and the way your clothes fit might be better indicators. But, like I said, that's probably only if you are seriously into the weight training.

Good luck!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Running, running and more running! I was 70lbs over weight after my twins and all i did was run, run and more runinng.

Now i am smaller than i was when i got married and i was tiny then.
Thats what worked for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Weight training and cardio are great. I agree with the pp to ditch the slimfast - it is not a sustainable weight loss method, once you stop it, the weight will come back on. Eat sensible, whole foods and small portions and you will lose weight and not feel deprived. Also, make sure you are using heavy weights, low reps for your weight training - light weights and lots of reps are not nearly as effective. Check out http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

www.fitday.com is great for helping keep track of what you are really eating too.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Let me add my praise of running! Nearly 90 pounds, 60 of that from running! The first 30 I lost walking and getting fit enough to start running!

And fresh, whole foods! Absolutely!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Running... and weights! Lots of us seem to be in agreement there. Weights are doing somthing amazing to my body. Never thought Id stick to it, but seeing curves of muscle appear where I hadnt seen them in years was wayyyyy more satisfying than any number on the scale. I dont worry too much about what I eat because I know my muscles are burning more fat than before.... Ive been set free!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I love T-tapp! www.t-tapp.com It allowed me to drop more weight quicker than I thought possible. I've done it all, and this is what helped me the most. And I was able to keep eating a normal diet instead of starving myself. Average loss is one dress size a month exercising every other day for 15-30 minutes with the T-tapp.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
First of all I'd say stop using the slim fast. For one it's full of sugar that your body will just turn right back into fat. Then the second problem is that you don't get full enough on it. Chances are that it's leaving you somewhat hungry and that's affecting your ability to really get in a good workout.

You say that you're doing videos and walking. A problem that I see with many people who do both is that they don't push themselves hard enough when they do them. Are you paying attention to your heartrate when you exercise? Are you panting, sweating, and really working hard? Or could you do a bit more next time? If you're not really working, you won't see a ton of fat loss (though your heart will still appreciate what you're doing).

The resistance bands might be another issue. Do you know how to properly use them? Are you a bigger or naturally strong girl? They might not be providing you with enough resistance to really exercise your muscles.

Other things to consider are that when people lose all the weight in the beginning, it's usually water weight. If you're losing 1-2 pounds a week, then your doing perfect. If resistance training is new to you, you will build muscle and not see any improvement on the scale at all for a while. Go by your measurements instead of your pounds to track progress. Make sure that you have at least one rest day a week. Eat healthy, but don't starve yourself. Tons of water is important. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Good luck

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
When I started running I gained weight. But a friend suggested I take measurements (hips, waist, chest, thighs, calfs...). I wrote these measurements down and the date. I then measured myself every 3 or 4 weeks. You can really see the difference even though your gaining weight it is muscle. And the more muscle you have the more fat you can burn. Good luck mama

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
The BEST exercise is what ever YOU LIKE to do! If you don't like it, you won't do it! That said, running is the most bang for the buck. Walking is easier on the body, but you'll have to walk longer, and briskly, to get the same results as running.

A good tip I learned was to work out in public. The thing with videos is that it is easy to do a half-assed job of it when no one is watching. If you run or walk outside, for some reason it makes it easier to push yourself. Or join a gym and either use the machines or take a class. A little "competition" can do wonders. Same for the mirrors.

As everyone else said, skip the shakes and eat real food. Otherwise you are on a "diet" and will fall off the wagon eventually. A healthy lifestyle is easier to maintain longterm than drinking nasty expensive milkshakes. Good luck!

·
Registered
484 Posts
High Intensity Interval Training has worked for many people. Google HIIT and explore the different techniques. I agree with PP, starting a walk to run program is a good thing. John Bingham has some awesome training programs for first time runners. He has a book called Marathons for Mortals that is very helpful.

As for Slimfast, I would trade it for a Kashi Go Lean roll. 200 cals, low sugar, relatively high fiber to keep you full. In the morning I would go for a Larabar. All raw and packed with good carbs to fuel your workout. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts