Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best Mama pads?<br>
I think my period will be coming back soon (i'm nursing a 10 month old and having some spotting) and I want to switch to Mama cloth. What are the best pads? Do I need extra thick ones for nighttime? How many would i need? Do they stain really bad? Would a fleece liner be good because it wicks the moisture away? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I haven't found the perfect pad yet, but here are some pros and cons of what I've tried.<br><br>
GLAD RAGS-<br>
+ small, discrete<br>
- small, not always optimum coverage (I leak around the edges)<br>
+ with a single insert I've never leaked through and you can use more inserts if necessary.<br>
- stiff fabric, not really uncomfortable, but pales in comparison to the other brands I've tried.<br>
+ big name, readily available (I actually picked mine up at a grocery store)<br>
+ good airflow<br>
+ haven't stained<br>
- dyes fading strangely (like bleach tie-dye, but I don't use bleach)<br><br>
These are my favorite for spotting, they're trim enough I feel comfortable wearing them out and about.<br><br>
KRISTIN'S PADS-<br>
+ large, no worries about leaks through or around<br>
- large, bulky not for wearing under stretch pants or leotards.<br>
+ soft comfy flannel<br>
+ dark colors and prints would hide stains well<br>
+ haven't stained mine yet<br>
+ most absorbent pads in my stash<br><br>
MOTHER OF EDEN COMFORT PADS-<br>
+ fleece top definitely wicks away moisture<br>
+ large, thin waterproof layer gives thorough protection<br>
- large, thin waterproof layer traps in heat<br>
- terry has stained<br>
+ parts visible when snapped together and in use have not stained<br>
+ excellent coverage to bulk ratio<br><br>
I can't help you with laundering advice I'm still fussing with my system to find right. I recommend buying 1-3 of a type that interests you and if you love that type buy more, if you don't love them buy 1-3 of a different type. Repeat as necessary.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I really like Glad Rags. I picked up one at my local co-op just to try and it was wonderful. I went back and picked up one more(i only have two store-bought pads). I like how you can decide to put in either 1 or 2 inserts(I usually only need 1 except for the second day of my period and I need 2). I personally LOVE the Keeper though. If you want more info check it out at Lunapads.com in the alternatives section. I've heard good things about lunapanties by the way but never tried them. I love my keeper. I've been using it for about 6 months and only leaked on the first month until I developed the feel for putting it in and getting a good seal. Even on my heaviest months I've never had a problem with it and it's so comfortable. I wear the keeper during the day and cloth at night. the keeper is exactly $36.00 with shipping and it is SO worth it. The Glad Rags went for $10 for one in my local co-op. Being a single mummy on an EXTREMELY tight budget with no room for extras I prefer the one-time costs of these things rather than buying expensive, unhealthy disposable products each month. I will NEVER go back!!!!! Glad rags don't bunch, they dont' slide around, they DO stain a little(I have the unbleached cotton) but who sees them anyway, ya know? Maybe you could try making your own? I think I saw a good pattern somewhere on <a href="http://www.thediaperpin.com" target="_blank">www.thediaperpin.com</a> for a pad similar to glad rags. Many diapering websites do have sections on mama cloth so try looking into it. I made a few pads for everyday use when I don't use my keeper(which isn't often I have to say) out of cut-up recieving blankets. I also made a lot of madyson's diapers when she was still wearing diapers. It's not hard at all. I have VERY simple sewing skills and I was fine. Best of luck to you. Good for you to make the switch.<br>
Meg

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I just received these in the mail:<br><br><a href="http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/MonthlySpecial.html" target="_blank">http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/MonthlySpecial.html</a><br><br>
I haven't started AF yet either, so I can't really comment on anything but the design, workmanship, and beauty. These look like a really great product. They are hemp with a moisture barrier fabric on the bottom. They are a "pocket" design with a hemp insert. They are gorgeous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts