Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my neice is approaching four. she never learned to crawl, but was walking shortly after a year. i know some kids just do this. but i also know a bit about cross patterning and why that is important for development. she is having some issues, but i dotn want to lead anyone, so if you know about this topic, tell me what could become an issue for a non-crawler. after a few responses, i'll tell about our specific concerns. ty.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
dd's physical therapist told us about the recent studies being done by occupational therapists linking kids' skipping crawling to difficulties with handwriting, fatigue etc in school.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I do understand that it has something to do with the use of arms & legs together, as well. Neither of my dds crawled. They did scoot on their bottoms, though and they used their arms together with their legs to do this. If they are using their arms & legs together in some fashion, even if not the traditional "crawl," I don't believe that there is a problem. I have been told that crawling is not considered a developmental milestone b/c it is not uncommon for it to be skipped.

However, I haven't looked at any recent studies, so they may have changed their minds. Both of my dds have no developmental problems, but they did use their arms & legs in an alternative method, as I mentioned.

eta: My older dd will be entering second grade in the fall. She has never had any problems with fatigue nor handwriting. She got a "check plus" for handwriting on her last report card (check is 'at grade level' & plus is 'above grade level.') I am not in any way trying to discount what the pp said, just to share my own experience.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dn did not use any alternative form of locomotion. one day she just got up and took steps like she had always been doing it. i still dont want to say what my sis is worried about. anyone else want to add to this first?

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
this is what i have researched on but dont have all the links and direct info on. a lot of the info comes from a friend who is a special ed teacher. when assessing learning disabilities in thier students one of the common things they found was many of them skipped the crawling stage all together. that does not mean ALL children who did not crawl (and as ChristaN the definition differs from parent to parent) had learning disabilities. but it was a common occurrence amongst children with learning disab.

i really have no research to back me up but i find my dd who back crawled for 2 months and then crawled for 7 months - might have really good coordination because of so much time spent crawling. i have no scientific reason to back me up - just gut feeling. she has great balance, really good coordination and can do a lot of things much before other kids her age can. and she doesnt seem to need practise to do something. in many things though she has been late. late walker, late riding tricycle, late sitting on the spring horse. that is her personal learning style. she doesnt spend time practising. instead she just sits and goes. she started walking and running with no falling or no drunken sailor walk right from day one. she didnt practise on a tricycle but just one day took off pedaling round the block. yet she throws, catches, kicks accurately much before others her age. she almost started jumping with both feet off the ground when she started walking. she pulled herself to stand up before she started front crawling. she can jump rope slowly and she is not even 3. once in a while she will draw something absolutely accurately as if i did it. like a capital P with eyes, nose lips, ears and hair (see mama its a P with a face). she doesnt like drawing and most of the times its lines circles sometimes shapes and squiggles but once in a while she draws v. accurate pictures. she could cut with scissors at 2. use needle and thread to stictch at 2. dont know if my theory is accurate but i have noted that.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedwithboys
dn did not use any alternative form of locomotion. one day she just got up and took steps like she had always been doing it.
My older dd, although she did bottom scoot, didn't go through any of the typical stages to walking, either. She never pulled up, cruised, etc. Your post made me smile b/c I remember very clearly when Angelina started walking. She just stood up in the middle of the floor one day & walked all of the way across the room just like you & meemee describe. She was totally steady on her feet.

I hope that someone whose child had no form of locomotion at all, though, will be able to offer you more input.

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
When my little brother was diagnosed with dylexia during the seventies, my mother remembered that he'd never crawled but had gone straight to walking at 9 months, and most of the experts agreed that this was probably related.

A few years later, after my sister was born, we looked through old baby books and found out that he had actually walked and crawled right on schedule, and *I* was the one who had never crawled and walked at 9 months. At the time, I was in gifted ed and had just won the presidential fitness award. Based on my personal experience, anyway, not crawling didn't seem to cause any problems...

Dar

·
Premium Member
24,385 Posts
I am interested in this as well. I never crawled. But I began walking prior to my first birthday.

I am not dyslexic, have no learning disabilities, but I do tend to learn things by watching, then just be able to do it from then on.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm glad someone said it...my sis thinks her dd is dyslexic. ever since looking into SPD for my kids, i think she has some "sensory issues". mostly just cant handle any type of unexpected change. she does not transition smoothly. and her coordination is not great. she is coming up on 4, and for a while seemed to be learning all of her letters, but recently it has been getting harder for her to learn anything new. my sis and i are def. not of the "better late than early" mindset. we present the info, if the kids are interested, we run with it. both my boys knew all the letters, upper and lower, by 3, and could write their names by then too. my neice was about on their track, then suddenly just didnt seen to be progressing anymore. of course my kids are not the gold standard or anything. what bothers my sis is that she is not learning on the same curve as b4. and what she used to "know", she is now forgetting. i guess i am not articulating it well, but it is a theory of mine that this could be an issue for her. i wonder if my sis and i could do cross-paqttern manipulations on her. or is that every two hours also?
:LOL

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
"Crawling Issues" seem to go in and out of vogue.

BIL never crawled (walked right at 12 months) and has always been a cordinated athlete w/no learning problems
There are entire cultures where the children do not crawl *as a rule* and they seem to have no isses. In the past, "crawling therapy" was largly unhelpful, so I'm not sure what a solution would be anyway. You can encourage cross-body motor skills in other ways, though.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I heard somewhere that crawling has something to do later with cognative abilities. My dd is 20 months old and has only taken a few steps she has been crawling all over for months. She is advanced over all kids in her age group with everything else (except the walking) and her cognative tests at least a year ahead. (we have EIC coming out to help with her SID and late walking). She just does things, no need to teach her she can just go, go go without being taught. She loves putting pegs in holes etc. things like that. She is verbally advanced too compaired to my other children at this same age and talks better than at least half kids her own age. She is very cordinated too, she doesn't have the clumsy movements of a toddler.

I haven't heard anything about writing or anything like that but it does make sense that it could cause a problem.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Both my children skipped the normal crawling stage and went right to walking at 10 months. I know they can crawl, because they will sometimes do it while playing. According to their ped. they are both advanced for their ages so skipping crawling hasen't had a negative effect on them.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
One of my children did not crawl. She scooted on her bottom, which was actually much more efficient than crawling. We looked into it at the time, and as I recall, most of the studies suggesting that lack of crawling was harmful or indicative of other problems had been debunked. She's recently tested with an IQ of 140, and does very well in school, FWIW.

My kids were adopted from China. In much of China, children do not get floor time, as floors are considered (and often are) dirty and unhygienic. It is quite common for Chinese children to skip crawling altogether.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFmom
My kids were adopted from China. In much of China, children do not get floor time, as floors are considered (and often are) dirty and unhygienic. It is quite common for Chinese children to skip crawling altogether.
That's good to know.

I have read of various cultures that carry their babies so often that when they are set down they do just skip crawling and go straight to walking. It also occured to me when I held DD in a sling alot that she got much more of the walking position (head up, feet down) than kids who are left to lie down a lot--- I wonder if that effects it?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
http://www.schoolmoves.com/

School Moves for learning... that lady goes into schools and teaches kids the simple patterns that babies are supposed to go through (like cross-crawl, etc...) When school kids start doing the simple exercises, they do much better in school.

The site might have more info. She sells a booklet and some materials. I took her weekend workshop in December, own the stuff and need to start doing it for DS. He doesn't have "learning issues" (other than some emotional stuff) (he skipped crawling and I didn't push tummy time) but I think it can help him "center" himself. I saw to it that DD got a lot of tummy time and she LOVES to crawl.

Foundation for Learning is Laid in Infancy

Brain Dance for Babies

Quote:
Babies need to be on their tummies in order to go through the fundamental patterns that wire the brain and lay the foundation for reading, writing, socialization, and healthy behavior. When a baby is prevented through illness or through social or environmental obstacles from moving through these patterns, she may later encounter problems in school with learning and behavior, no matter how intelligent she may be. Missed or disorganized developmental stages can create barriers that make learning difficult. The good news is that movement activities that take children back through these missed stages and fundamental patterns can often correct flaws in their perceptual processes and enhance learning.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Missed or disorganized developmental stages can create barriers that make learning difficult.
I guess that the only problem I would have with this quote is that crawling is not considered a developmental milestone. My six year old, who did not crawl in the traditional fashion, has no learning nor behavioral issues. In fact, she is slated to be in the Talented & Gifted program at her school next fall & is above grade level in reading, math and writing (significantly so in reading).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.