Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,158 Posts
I do understand that it has something to do with the use of arms & legs together, as well. Neither of my dds crawled. They did scoot on their bottoms, though and they used their arms together with their legs to do this. If they are using their arms & legs together in some fashion, even if not the traditional "crawl," I don't believe that there is a problem. I have been told that crawling is not considered a developmental milestone b/c it is not uncommon for it to be skipped.

However, I haven't looked at any recent studies, so they may have changed their minds. Both of my dds have no developmental problems, but they did use their arms & legs in an alternative method, as I mentioned.

eta: My older dd will be entering second grade in the fall. She has never had any problems with fatigue nor handwriting. She got a "check plus" for handwriting on her last report card (check is 'at grade level' & plus is 'above grade level.') I am not in any way trying to discount what the pp said, just to share my own experience.

· Registered
3,158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedwithboys
dn did not use any alternative form of locomotion. one day she just got up and took steps like she had always been doing it.
My older dd, although she did bottom scoot, didn't go through any of the typical stages to walking, either. She never pulled up, cruised, etc. Your post made me smile b/c I remember very clearly when Angelina started walking. She just stood up in the middle of the floor one day & walked all of the way across the room just like you & meemee describe. She was totally steady on her feet.

I hope that someone whose child had no form of locomotion at all, though, will be able to offer you more input.

· Registered
3,158 Posts
Quote:
Missed or disorganized developmental stages can create barriers that make learning difficult.
I guess that the only problem I would have with this quote is that crawling is not considered a developmental milestone. My six year old, who did not crawl in the traditional fashion, has no learning nor behavioral issues. In fact, she is slated to be in the Talented & Gifted program at her school next fall & is above grade level in reading, math and writing (significantly so in reading).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.