Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems with this pregnancy and was wondering what to expect with a preemie. I'm 33 weeks and 1 day right now I don't think I'll be going this soon but who knows.

I'm in so much pain I was thinking of asking the OB if I could be induced two weeks early(at 38 weeks) is there much risk with it being so close to the due date then?

·
Registered
132 Posts
33 weeks is a pretty good place to be. I had a 34 weeker who only stayed a week. Most babies that age have some trouble with feeding and keeping their temp up. There can be problems breathing sometimes that early too. I think Raleigh was on c-pap on day maybe. My 35 and 36 weekers got to come straight home from the hospital with me. Good Luck and I hope you get a few more weeks of baking time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I'm really hoping to hold on until after christmas. My kidney and the connection to my bladder are being crushed causing lots of pain and pressure which is causing contractions
The baby is big for me right now. I really wonder if they are two weeks off making me really 35+ rather then the 33+ they think.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
I'm sorry you're going through this.

It's really hard to say exactly what may or may not happen, since every preemie is different. DS was 33w 1d and was in pretty bad shape due to placenta/growth/mommy issues. We were there for 3 weeks. But there are other 33 weekers who do better. There also plenty of later babies who "should" do fine, but end up with an infection or some other complication. It all really depends on the individual situation.

Many people consider 37 or 38 to be full term, and most babies do just fine. Sometimes they *might* be a bit more sleepy, or may need some extra encouragement with nursing, but usually they're ready to go.

Good luck and I hope everything goes well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.