Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, no matter where we're choosing to give birth, there's going to be some early labor where there isn't much to do except wait for things to get going.

What do you think you'd like to do then?

This time around, I'm thinking movies and scrubbing stuff.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Probably same as last time, ideally - go for a walk, possibly to buy some fruit or other groceries. Or maybe go to the park with the toddler, depending on what time of the day it happens. Basically do something that involves walking outdoors - because last time there was a point where it was like "I need to be at home. Now!"

·
Registered
76 Posts
The day before my last was born, my husband took me to a whole bunch of scrap yards looking for a very specific car part. I remember leaning over the counters in a couple places trying to get through contractions, in front of a bunch of burly men. I would like to not do that again!
Its a good question though. Baking (a birthday cake maybe!) or making a big freezer meal seems like a really good idea, or packing a bag for the hospital if I haven't yet. Something to keep me busy and distracted anyway!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Baking and cleaning sound appropriate, since I'm sure my house will be a mess as always, and it sure would be nice to come home from the hospital to a clean home!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't know if this merits a whole additional thread, but do I need to prepare for stuff to do in the hospital after the birth as well? Like, should we pack games? I like backgammon! It sounds like we have to be there for 2 days. I am trying to see this as a good opportunity to get some rest, but it just sounds like two days in a hospital. I've never spent any time whatsoever in a hospital as a patient, so I'm a little unclear how it all works. Why can't I leave if I want? Who cares if I get properly "discharged"? Do we need to plan an escape?

As for the labor portion, I'm wondering a lot these days about when to call my two friends who I've enlisted as support people. Well, I'm not entirely sure I get to have them there at all. We went to our first birthing class last weekend and SO was, predictably, very stand-offish. All the other guys were rubbing their ladies' tummies and SO was visibly uncomfortable. Hah! He's actually very warm and funny and intimate when it's just the two of us or around others he feels very close to, but if you only knew him in that kind of scenario with strangers, he would probably seem pretty cold.

So the two of us can't figure out what to do as far as support. He's been advocating for a doula because he thinks he'll be less self-conscious about all the physical, support stuff if it's a stranger in the room with us. I say he will be uncomfortable, and the last thing I want in the world is to be aware and self-conscious of his discomfort when I'm in labor (although I imagine there will also be a point when I won't give a f--- how he's feeling :lol).

We'd both like it to be mostly SO and I alone together so that we can be completely ourselves. But I would like our two friends there as relief for him and to help with brainstorming if whatever SO and I are doing for pain management and labor progression isn't working. He is a bit of a worry-wort when it comes to anything health related, so I want to make sure he understands that at a certain point, I will not be able to debate with him about whether or not what I'm going through is "normal" or we need to reclassify it as an emergency.

...as I write this I realize I'm more concerned about how he's going to handle everything than myself (most of the time I feel pretty relaxed about it!). But, if we can get the tone right, I have every confidence he will be a bad ass!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After the birth, you'll have a pet rock to oogggie googggie over and you're going to want to get as much sleep as you can while you're still in a place that you have no responsibility for and where they'll bring meals to you. Go ahead and bring backgammon, but remember that your husband's going to be able to drive home and get stuff.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Mh, maybe a book? I know that baby was very sleepy for the first couple of days and I wasn't, or I couldn't sleep for long periods so I spent a lot of time on Facebook on my phone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
nap, shower, shave, possibly pick up the house a bit. If it is taking awhile, a walk around the neighbourhood.

I'm really hoping I actually have time to do some of this stuff this time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I usually have a pile of things that I like to get done with that final burst of energy, and I traditionally bake a birthday cake to share with everyone after the birth. It's pretty fun! But I also have short labours so once it's on, it's ON.

I'd definitely bring a book or tablet or card games or something if you don't intend to have a lot of visitors in the hospital, and are required to stay for a couple days. I remember being bored out of my mind.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I will be coping with almost immediate transition haha!! My births have been fast (2-4 hrs).

Reactions: chispita

·
Registered
633 Posts
I really want to bake something. Correction - I want fresh baked goods after, ideally someone else would make them but that's not going to happen ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ordered a chest freezer so when that gets here I can't wait to start stocking it! Anything to keep myself busy!!!! :nut

Reactions: chispita

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ugh, we've been meaning to get a chest freezer, but I don't think that's going to happen. And I'm not motivated to start cooking huge amounts to fill it now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts