Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In other news (per my previous post), the CS check arrived ON TIME today and it's IN THE BANK and I don't have to worry about anything bouncing. Whew.

What are you grateful for?

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Congrats!!!!

I won a $100 visa gift card and got a personal email from JP Boyd, the mastermind behind this amazing online family law resource connected to UCalgary. I filled out a survey and was entered into a draw.

That sort of pays for the nice saucepan I burned yesterday after I almost set the house on fire when I accidentally left jam I was making simmering on the stove. Came home from church to a black pot and smoky house. Ack!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
My 5-year-old ds has been playing tball this spring. At the end of each game, the coach gives the "game ball" to one player. Ds has been desperately wanting to get this all season long, and at one of the last games of the season, today he finally got it.

He was so excited that he leaped off the bench the second the coach handed it to him, when the coach was pretty much still mid-sentence, and ran over to me as fast he could go, yelling, "Mommy, I got the game ball, finally!" It was the cutest, sweetest thing-I got a little teary-eyed that the first thing he thought of was to show me.

He took it home and carefully wiped it off after playing with it, and then kissed it goodnight :) I'm so grateful I get to be there for these "little" moments.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
GM, that's so sweet!

I have a few to list. My neighbor friends who just moved out of our building gave me their small washing machine that hooks up to the sink and drains into the tub. I had to order a part, which came today, and got it hooked up in 5 mins. I've done three loads!!

2nd, I'm grateful for friends who offer specific help, like my friend who told me last week that she will watch dd anytime I need to go see a lawyer or be in court, etc. She has a 1 month old baby girl I spent an hour holding today after my upsetting appt.

I'm grateful another friend gave me the garden box I'm sharing with another neighbor. We shared the cost of a load of amazing soil and tonight I just planted all my seedlings.

I'm grateful DD and I tell each other multiple times a day that we love each other and even when we butt heads, we talk it out and she knows I discipline her because I love her. She tried again to pull that line about missing daddy because I sent her to time out, and I talked about taking responsibility for her actions, and how she makes my job of being a good mom harder when she refuses to do the simple things like brush her teeth and get pjs on. Daddy will have to make her do all the same things when she decidesto give him a hard time.

And I'm truly grateful for this pastor and church that is going to do what they can to help my custody case.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I am grateful that my mom came down to visit with us for 48 hours and it was just enough time. More than that and we drive each other crazy. There was no drama or fighting just a really lovely time with her and 3 of my siblings. My kids had a fantastic time and all is good :grin:

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Work is stressing me out. So time for a gratefulness check.

* I am grateful that DS and I had such a nice visit with my mom in her new home.

* I am grateful that I am financially in a position to let DS try music lessons when he expressed an interest in playing Irish fiddle. (Directly related to him being old enough to walk home from school and be on his own for a while now. Daycare costs go down...money for lessons goes up!)

* I am grateful for my home even though it's overwhelming with work that needs to happen and no time to do it! Some day I WILL catch up!!!!

* I am grateful for a cheerful, healthy little boy...medium size boy really...who was so well mannered while on vacation that multiple people complimented me on what a nice kid he is. (He was dead-set on showing Grandma that he was old enough for a Disney trip, so he used every ounce of Angel Child he could muster all weekend. But I think it worked!)

* I am grateful for the crazy jungle in my yard that is teaching me about gardening, one weed at a time!

* I am grateful for friends and family who don't roll their eyes too much at my crazy ideas. They've learned to just wait and see what happens.

* I am grateful to know that, even though it might be a struggle, I can handle most things that life might throw at me.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Reviving this thread as I listen to the girls outside the front window, lying in the hammock, looking at the stars and discussing their past conflicts, how much they love each other. dd2 is quoted as saying "yeah sometimes I hit you and I'm very very sorry about that. I love you. I love you when I am angry, I love you when I am sad, I love you when I am happy, and glad". The bond between these sisters is just so beautiful sometimes I want to cry. dd1 was at every prenatal appt, and doted on her little sister from the beginning. The occasional conflict, but generally minimal. Now dd1 is teaching dd2 math, and all about the stars, the seasons, etc. I don't want to call them into bed yet....it's just too sweet a moment to not record :)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I love those sweet sibling moments AG-it makes the fighting worth getting through :) It sounds like you are really showing them what healthy, loving relationships look like!

My recent grateful: Ex and dsd met the kids and I at dd's dance studio the other day, and we were all in the waiting room together for a while. I was chatting with some of the other moms and they asked if all the kids were mine-I kind of winked at dsd and said yes. It was always kind of an awkward question, but even more so now that her dad and I aren't together. (For the record, I would never specifically say that dsd is "my daughter," but I know her mom would be fine with me including her in the group of kids.) Later the mom was talking to us again and commented to dsd that her "mom" (me) looks really young, which would be true since I'm only 16 years older than dsd! I explained that dsd is my stepdaughter, and then later asked dsd if it was okay with her to still call myself that, because I wasn't sure what to say. She told me she was never sure what to say either, but still called me her stepmom as well, because "once a stepmother, always a stepmother" :) It was very sweet, and I'm so glad I still get to see her and hang out with her as she gets older-I've know her since she was 4 and lived with her for the better part of a decade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts