Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what all the prof/teacher mamas are teaching this semester. And, when do you prepare your lesson plans?

I'm teaching as an adjunct in Trial advocacy, Appellate advocacy, Law & society and American Gov't 101. This is the largest workload I have had so far and I'm nervous about keeping it all organized and interesting for the students. It's such a wide variety.

How are you all doing it?

Libby

· Registered
2,185 Posts
Thank goodness I have no new preps this year
I am teaching Biocalculus
A seminar on Teaching College Mathematics
A seminar on Mentoring and Teaching = 5 contact hours (really more like 6 or 7 as the biocalc should be 4 cred and the seminars go overtime)
Class starts Wednesday and I still don't have a copy of the book! I feel sooo disorganized this year. My brain is all over the place!

· Registered
302 Posts
Well......I will be teaching women in antiquity and an intro course to ancient Greek.....a load of laughs, we always get one or two smart assed boys in the women course, and the Greek is great till the first day when I tell people it is ancient and not modern Greek, and half my class dissapears!

· Registered
7,984 Posts
<<Doin' the Happy Dance>>

I'm not teaching this quarter. That gives me a year off from teaching Mineralogy, which is normally what I teach in the fall.

Instead I have a lot of research planned for the fall, including getting my two albatross papers off my desk finally. My group will also have 6 posters/talks at AGU in December.

· Registered
110 Posts
Applied Biostatistics! To both engineers and people with no math background whatsoever! I'm using lots of exclamation points to try to get myself in a positive frame of mind! I actually like the course, but I am concerned about the huge variation in backgrounds that I'm going to have.

· Registered
7,222 Posts
Historical Geology
2 (different sections at different schools) of physical geology
and
environmental geology

That is 2.5 new preps (I've taught physical geo a lot, but one of these is at a new college).

I see loads and loads of
in my future this semester.

· Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Blissfully, just one online music appreciation course. Usually I have two, but a senior member of our department who'd left returned and "stole" mine. It's fine though (for now), as I already have plenty on my plate.

Course prep, grading, etc, all gets done after DD is asleep. If I have a classroom course, some of it gets done during my office hours, and I try to make sure I'm sitting in my office an hour before class so I have a little more uninterrupted class prep time.

· Registered
560 Posts
I'm teaching Childbearing clinical (at the hospital) to juniors, and Professional Nursing II to seniors. I'm also giving a few guest lectures to the women's health NP masters students (upper respiratory infections and something else I can't remember at the moment
).

Clinical is usually fine: the kids are terrified (poor things) and typically try very hard. This will be my first time teaching professional nursing, which I hear the students hate (lucky me!). It's actually a very important course that bridges the gap between student and professional, but all the students focus on is passing the NCLEX. It could be a looong semester...........

I've done a lot of prep work this summer and will finish the prep once the kids go back to school and my house isn't covered with sand, beach towels, boogie boards and an assortment of friends
. Most of my grading of assignments either happens during the school day when I'm home alone or at night after the kids go to bed.

· Registered
7,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
What does professional nursing mean? How to act like a professional? Rules on losing your amateur status?

I probably should use this one:
because that's actually what I did.

· Registered
1,402 Posts
I'm teaching one section each of Composition I and II. Comp II is all rhetoric based. I have two new books and two new preps and the Comp II is online.

I've been doing my work during naptime and at night after the littles are in bed.

I have a third course - Comp II online - but I think it's going to get axed for low attendance.

· Registered
560 Posts
Quote:
What does professional nursing mean? How to act like a professional? Rules on losing your amateur status?
This course focuses on things such as effective communication, leadership skills, how to prioritize & delegate, time management, change theory, legal issues, health policy, etc.

This is a baccauaurate program, and the vast majority of students are typical college age: 18-22. They are young and have a tough time transitioning from a student with little responsibility to a RN who is totally responsible for many more patients then they ever had at one time in school. Their main focus is on passing the NCLEX and getting a job, but they don't give a lot of thought to what happens once they get the job. This course (hopefully) helps prepare them for life as an RN vs. life as a student.

· Registered
7,984 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kate3 View Post
This course focuses on things such as effective communication, leadership skills, how to prioritize & delegate, time management,
Can I take your class?
I need that stuff and I graduated from college >10 years ago...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.