Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started homeschooling my blind 9yo DD. I am looking for some idea's of what to teach her.

So far we have been:

*Pretending we are shopping and figuring out how much things cost with tax
*We have been reading about Africa and elephants
*Politics, different parts of Government and how they work
*Listening to Harry Potter novels on tape (we love them)
*Working on our X-mas play (we do a small one for DH every year)
*X-mas crafts and cookies
*Walks
*Some library programs

Boy it seems like more once I write it all down!

What are you learning/doing with you 9yo?

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
My almost 9yo is learning

Math is different every day because we use Saxon, but today is problems like:

6 + 9 + N = 22

Science: Insects

Reading/Lit: Ramona Quimby Age 8

History: The History of Christianity and how it spread during and immediately after the Civil War.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 9 year old has the following subjects:

* History -- Mystery of History Volume 2
* Science -- Enjoying God's Creation
* Spanish -- takes a class at our co op
* Writing -- I teach his creative writing class at our co op -- we follow the Bravewriter philsophy on writing.
* Math -- He is in Delta in Math U See and is learning double digit division into multiple digit figures at the moment.
* Reading -- he reads insanely on his own. I do try to have one book at all times that I read to him as well.
* Grammar/Spelling/Punctuation etc. -- We are learning these things through the copywork and dictation that he does.
* Art -- he takes a class at our co op and loves it! He practices sketching all the time at home.

I think that is pretty much it. The kids are constantly learning though all on their own. I told them yesterday that we were done with school until after Christmas! I can't tell you how much learning has gone on in the past 2 days -- all self directed by them. I've been relaxed and not worried about getting the workbook type stuff done and in the process, they are still learning! Gotta love that!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Math --multiplication division and graphing
Science-- Biomes and a chemstry series about atoms and molocules
History--Middle ages
Lang-- diagraphing sentances
Reading-- some asopes fables

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Hey! I have a 9 yr old, and this is the very frst time I have seen anything at all about 9 yr olds. )

She loves horses. Real and pretend. This includes Playmobil, Breyer, and all manner of little plastic anything. Today she spent a couple of hours playing with the new animals & horses she recieved as xmas presents. It looks lovely.

This morning she said to me, " I have a rare and wonderful relationship with my siblings, don't I?"

She played with 'moon sand' with her toddler cousin, and also watched his fav Ben Ten DVD.

She feed our chickens. (Twice)

She finished reading book 2 of Narnia. Together, we finished reading Dragon Slippers aloud.

She helped me take down the Christmas tree.

She worked on Neopets.

She drew in her art book.

She took a shower.

She is currently watching Scrubs with her sibs.

·
Registered
906 Posts
my 9 year old (almost 10) is really into electronics, robots and basically anything he can take apart. i stopped buying him "real" toys along time ago,since he would just take them apart within a week anyway.
oh, and magnets. any and all! ok, all science, last season it was egypt and i think this season will be the soler system.

his dad and him just started 'a wrinkle in time' hes loving it so far.

he loves audio books like crazy so for christmas i bought a membership at audible.com so he gets a new book every month. he either uploads them to his mp3 player or burns them onto disk to listen to in his room or on the radio next to his bed to fall asleep to.
also there are many great (and free) podcasts out there for kids, in all areas of interest.
also he explores new music on lastfm.com

oh and puzzles, any and all.

and while he shuns any kind of organized sports game (hes the sensitive type) he gets as many hours as i can scedual (afford) of swimming, biking, rollerblading, skateboarding, hiking, rock wall climbing etc.

and hes a constant fidgeter (sp?) so i get him things like rubics cubes and silly putty that will add some linear thinking to his fidgets.

oh and we write and spell and stuff too. promise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
[This is nearly the Ambleside Online 3 booklist.]

We are doing history from the Age of Exploration, using This Country of Ours.
We are working slowly through a book about Marco Polo.
We are doing some English History from An Island Story.
We recently finished The Princess and the Goblin, and are currently reading Little House on Plum Creek. I plan to soon start Swallows and Amazons, and we'll see how we like Children of the New Forest. We use Science in the Supermarket for Science (it's out of print -- I copied a bunch of pages from a library copy). We're reading The Heroes, by Kinglsey (Greek myths), and we've been reading about inventors. We're using MEP math, working mostly on multiplication and division. Not all of this is a hit!

Our coop did a unit on the election, and then a unit of Pokemon (very popular, as you might guess). On his own, he's read the Percy Jackson series. We make some use of Librivox (free audio recordings) which you might find useful. Also, I can download audio books from our library system.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Right this moment?
--Fractions
--Reading Anne of Green Gables (he actually picked it)
--Reading Holes by Louis Sacher as a read aloud
--Writing a television commercial
--Writing and performing a play for the Feast of the Baptism of Our Lord
--Working through the experiments that came with his chemistry set
--Reading about the scattering of the Jews in Story of the World
--Spelling
--Cello and orchestra
--We also just finished a Norse Mythology block

He also writes a weekly-ish newspaper, reads like crazy, and is figuring out the Wii we got for Christmas.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Kimcarrots;12935574 [IMG alt="" said:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/love.gif[/IMG]
I know! She knows her way to her mother's heart.

Although today? I was like, ""Maybe there is a sentence from your book that you might like to copy? Yk, just for writing practice?"

Her reply was , "Mom, you're killing me. Way to take the love out of reading".

She so knows my buttons.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Mine is writing two papers at present. Both on subject/topics she enjoys--one much more than the other and she is spending more time on that each day.

She is practicing fractions and division. She loves math.

She is learning French and practicing her Spanish.

And she is wanting to learn more about babies and birth and I am thinking through what books to give her. I have some great midwifery books but she might now want that much info. She wants to be a mother's helper to a baby or a toddler.

We are going to blow stuff up next week. (baking soda and vinegar)

Oh and she is always reading, playing with her horses or wanting to talk with me about things she thinks of.

Right now she is cataloging her horses....breed, make, qualities, when received, etc.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Latin using Minimus.
Math is multiplication and simple geometry, using RightStart D and also the Sir Cumference books.
English -- diagramming sentences, poetry memorization with First Language Lesson 3.
Writing -- narrating, copywork and dictation out of science books (her choice)
Science was the human body, but she got electricity kits for Christmas and has a new passion for wiring things to batteries and making circuits.
Lots of read alouds -- just finished Heidi, currently Phoenix and the Carpet, Norse Myths, and some Little House book (they all blur in my mind at this point -- it's one of the Rose books)

She used to do French, but we got over it.

Also, dance, choir, Scouts, piano. She's taking time off from YMCA swimming due to cold weather -- she just finished the Fish level.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.