Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Ds is a little whirling dervish right now! His favorite games:

"Horsey, horsey, horsey!" I am the horsey.

"Outside, outside!" Then he goes outside and plays with balls and tries to bring sand into the house. He REALLY likes it when I let him chase me.

He's really into counting right now, so he reads this book he has with piggies and counts them. That one is nice because it is quiet and doesn't involve me!

He'll play in the tub for an hour if I let him, so that's a nice way to contain him and kill some time (I clean the bathroom and read magazines while he plays. Dh, OTOH, plays with him the whole time, amazing man that he is!).

We like to take long walks too!

Right now, I just look for things that he likes to do that will occupy him for a while. I don't really care what they are!

You know, maybe you could let your dc "drive the car" while you sit in the passenger seat and read! Or clean the garage!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
"race the bulldozer" - where he zooms around the basement pushing his tonka truck bulldozer. i sit on the couch and make a bridge with my legs (resting my feet on the coffee table). sometimes we put a blanket over my legs to make a tent. the tent makes a great hiding spot for ds to squat and poop. perfect time to sit and do some sodoku.

"stack blocks" (aka build a tower/house/robot/garage) - we use preschool/toddler legos or megablocks for these building efforts (and most of the effort is mine or dh's - ds likes knocking things down).

water! - he likes to pour water (in the kitchen) from one container to another. thankfully he's in a phase right now where he is shocked about messes. when he spills, he hollers for a towel. glad to know that my ds isn't the only one spending an hour in the tub turning into a cold prune!

big buttons/beads - my mom gave me a bunch of large macrame beads (for you younger mamas, this was a thing that was big in the 70s for hanging potted plants) - these are super beads for stringing or just pushing around in the bulldozer. my mom has promised some large buttons when she comes down this weekend.

playdoh - at daycare they do something with homemade playdoh and something that looks like pink goop. too adventurous for us at home though.

daycare sensory table - they put different "stuff" into the sensory table at daycare - mulch, sand, large cereal, dried beans, etc. so occasionally, i'll let ds play with his own beans. we tried planting them in egg cartons and that captured his interest for a few days. they were taking up space on the counter so i put them on the fridge. he's forgotten abotu them (and they're likely dead now, black thumb that i have) so i think it is now safe to toss the whole mess.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My two year old follows me around all day and never really plays by herself. She loves to go out but there isn't really much to do besides go to grandmas, the park or the store. Even if I suggest a game she doesnt usually like to play alone. She does like to dig in the dirt and play with play dough, but that usually lasts all of ten minutes before she is done. We also cook and bake cookies and crackers and stuff and if I draw each step out, she gets really involved. but i still have to be right there talking with her or doing it with her, it makes it really hard to get a break or plan ahead.

Becky, Mommy to Ella (2) and Rio (2 mo)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I do let him drive every day AFTER his nap ONLY and we sit in there for a half hour while I read. I have been practicing with him every day to get it thru his head that driving only happens after your nap.. NOT everytime we go somewhere in the car!!!!!!!!!! OY!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.