Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time finding decent clothing reasonably priced for my boys. I shop garage sales and thrift stores when I can, but this year I haven't seen hardly any clothing that would fit them. Any ideas?

Also at our local Once upon a child, which is a gently used clothing store their pants run around $7-8 and tops $5-6 I can totally find clothes at Target brand new that are equally as good.

Just frusterated that I don't have more money to spend on them for nice clothing ~~~

·
Registered
715 Posts
Do you have a Children's Orchard near you? I love CO so much better than OUAC! They're bigger, have better selection, better quality, better brands, everything and their prices are only a smidge higher than OUAC. For a pair of Old Navy jeans, for example, it might be $3.99 at OUAC and $4.99 at CO, but generally speaking, the things they carry are in better shape. I don't know about you, but I always have to inspect every inch of an item at OUAC because sometimes there are stains, rips, etc. I've never run into that at CO.

http://www.childrensorchard.com

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Gap Kids has the best sales in the middle of the summer- they mark down the khakis to very cheap and other stuff. I am firm believer in the Gap sale racks.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I'm having a hard time find clothes for my dd at the thrift stores as well. They still have tons of infant stuff but once she exited the toddler sizes, nothing. I've been unable to find a hand-me-down connection since moving 1 yr ago and have been slowing adding stuff from Target, Shopko, etc to fill the voids. It seems like most re-sale prices are similar and atleast with the department stores you can get better sizing (going up a size to get more wear)

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm having a hard time, too. My 7yo and 4yo are very tall and skinny so anything except slim pants fall right off of them or are too short. Walmart, Kmart, etc don't seem to have slim pants. Old Navy has slims but it gets a little pricey with only $100-200 per kid. Children's Place only has slims online, not in store, and it's expensive too. The thrift stores are not sorted by size, slims are rare, and most things are picked over by the time I go shopping. I went in June to look for summer clothes and there were only 2 t-shirts that were 4/5 for girls in the entire huge store!

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
I always try to shop "ahead." If something is on sale I buy it even if it will be a few years before my kids can wear it. It cuts down on the need to buy something full price when they do grow bigger. There is always ebay and craigslist.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Not buying too much helps. We usually only have 2 pairs of decent pants and 4 or so nicer shirts. If you can convince your kids to change into "playclothes" when they come home and roll in the mud/ eat Indian food, it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Some states have a 'no sales-tax' period specifically for the purchase of school clothes and supplies. In Virginia, that period is August 3-5, I believe. Our newspaper had a feature showing all the things you can purchase without sales tax on those days and how much money you can save. It includes things you would expect, like school clothes, school supplies, athletic shoes, and computers (in TN, not in VA) but also some things you wouldn't expect, like lingerie.
:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I would also suggest checking on Ebay. I find a lot of good deals on there.

And I agree with the advice not to buy too much. My kids have a handful of nicer clothes for church and such, and the rest are play-kick-around-outside-get-muddy-clothes.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the advice, I don't buy much at all. But we all need clean clothes that fit. And with fall approaching they need new clothing as they have outgrown what we have for fall/winter items.

I totally buy ahead too, but like I said the sizes I need I usually can never find~

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I will wait to buy most fall/winter clothes until late Sept. or early Oct. when they have been marked down since it will be warm enough to wear summer clothes for at least the first month of school.

BJ
Barney & Ben

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Hit up the grandparents?

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Anybody tried posting something in the grocery store or a community bulleting board about looking for children's clothes in specific sizes? Try in an expensive part of town in a nice store. I say this because I'd be HAPPY to donate clothes to someone I know instead of the church thrift stores. You'd be surprised at how strangers would be willing to help if you just ask.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You have to check often, but there can be good deals at Lands End overstocks and clearance online. We have an outlet store near by that does a spring and fall sale and they bring in children's clothes at that time which is a great deal. I think they have solid cotton clothes that are generously sized and nice quality. I like that the girls clothes are quite modest too. Good luck, it is hard to feel like the dollars are well spendt.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have the same Slim Sized problem....I have slim boy and we hit the clearance racks and i will buy and slim jean i find (no matter what the size as long as it is bigger) Slims are nearly impossible to find. And of course, his younger brother wears a regular pant so no handmedowns there

Last year i bought him 3 nice pairs of jeans and they got him through the school year

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe
I always try to shop "ahead." If something is on sale I buy it even if it will be a few years before my kids can wear it. It cuts down on the need to buy something full price when they do grow bigger. There is always ebay and craigslist.
We do the same thing. I also try to buy the highest quality clothing I can afford so it will last through all of the hand-me-down cycles. I've found for my boys that LL Bean is about the best & Lands End is pretty good too. I never buy from Walmart or similar stores because the clothes never last through more than one season. So I'm always on the look-out on ebay for really good deals on sizes a year or two ahead of what my oldest is wearing right now in the brands I trust. That way, I can afford to be picky instead of having to fork out tons of money to make sure he has enough.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie mamma
You have to check often, but there can be good deals at Lands End overstocks and clearance online.
I have to second this. I get the majority of ds1's clothes here. They are great quality and can be handed down to ds2, unlike most of the Old Navy clothes I buy, which definitely have a very short half-life...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts