Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds usually showers or baths with me but sometimes he's in the big tub by himself.<br>
I've been doing a 'sitting only' in the tub rule. If he gets up a lot, I take it as he's done being in the tub and I get him out.<br>
I'm fine with splashing<br>
I try to distract him from wanting the taps<br>
I try to distract him from grabbing all the stuff around the tub...soap, shampoo etc.<br><br>
I originally had him in a bath ring, but not only could he climb out of it, it was hard to get his chubby legs in there.<br><br>
What do you do?<br><br>
Dawn

·
Registered
286 Posts
Our rules are like yours - no standing up!<br><br>
We also have no throwing things over the side with water in them - DD has a couple of "cups" she likes to play with, and also her wet washcloth.<br><br>
I take all the adult things (body wash etc) off the sides of the bath if she is getting into it, but often she just ignores it - too fascinated by her own toys.<br><br>
I have a non-slip mat on the bath (before we got that she'd often slip over, just while sitting up) and a blow-up inflatable thing to cover the faucet/tap.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I actually don't have rules as such for bathtime. I prefer to teach the kids about hot and cold taps - I get them to reach out and I explain about the heat coming off the hot tap, they can tap it etc. They are allowed to get cold water from the cold tap to play with if they want. I also allow to stand (we have a non-slip mat), but I explain about safety - no pushing past each other and to hold on the side of the bath. I let them splash around, but encourage them to keep water in the bath and redirect their need to splash somewhere where it's ok. We don't have bottles of shampoos or anything low they can get to anyway. They help put the toys in the basket at the end, so I show them how to empty the water out and give it a shake. It's all education rather than rules.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I defiantly have a no standing rule even for my 6yo dd it is just to dangerous even with a mat. Water and poor balance = tragedy in the making. I also have the no dumping water over the side rule. We move everything they are not allowed to play with out of the way. So that isnt a issue.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Our only rule is "no drinking the water." DS1 showers and is fairly responsible about doing his job. DS2 does fine, except he drinks the water and about chokes.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
no splashing over the edge<br><br>
no dumping all the soap in the water (this has been done several times)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts