Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there are some foods that are more common as eczema triggers. Maybe knowing others' triggers would help me find a pattern or two, and get me further down the road to figuring this out. Dp and I are kinda thinking that if we haven't gotten somewhere (at least find a trigger or two) by Christmas, that we're giving up, at least for now.<br><br>
So far, we know (as much as we can know) that sweet potato is a trigger for ds2, and we suspect eggs.<br>
I don't think wheat is a problem, as his eczema actually improved both times I added bread back in after an ED (one time was homemade sourdough, and one time was storebought). For dairy, we eat it daily and his eczema goes from good to bad, so the timeline wouldn't make sense for dairy. Also, during the time that his eczema was gone completely, our diets were relatively high in wheat and dairy. I'm open to the possibility that there's a delayed reaction of a couple weeks, but those are definitely not my first suspects.<br><br>
I've suspected soy, but then I discovered that our bread (which we eat daily) has soy flour in it, so that wouldn't make sense as far as the timeline. I DO however strongly suspect soy sauce.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
<p>My personal #1 huge, within minutes trigger, is high fructose corn syrup which you've probably already eliminated.</p>

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
I've heard from a few doctors that eggs are a common eczema trigger, but I really think it's different for everyone. Any food can do it. For me personally, I'm currently suspecting corn and gluten, since mine is going away after eliminating those but still eating some dairy.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
<p>All of my dd's intolerances give her rashes to some degree. Gluten, dairy, soy, and eggs.</p>

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
<p>My daughter seems to process all of her food through her skin. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Very clear, immediate or near-immediate eczema triggers for us are: dairy, soy, some nuts, some seeds, mushrooms, strawberries, cinnamon, canola, most honey varieties, potentially shellfish, potentially tomatoes, many pollens, dust, mold, cats. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Delayed reactions seem to be: garlic, onions, gluten (she gets a DH-type ulcer reaction, like her daddy), possibly carrots, asparagus. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We also get very clear respiratory, gastrointestinal, and/or behavior reactions from some of the above, plus other foods, including corn, most grains, peanuts, grapes, potentially other nightshades, preservatives/additives/colorings, </p>

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
<p>For my dd3, her triggers for eczema are dairy and oats.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Wheat triggered her cradle cap.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>She's off of those and her skin and head looks great!</p>

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all! It sounds like there are some common foods, but some random foods too.<br><br>
Wow menomena- that sounds like it would have taken a lot of work to figure out!<br><br>
I did some googling for common eczema triggers, and basically came up with the top 8, some fruit (one site said fruit with seeds*, one said citrus and strawberries, one said acidic fruit), and food additives (sulfites, msg, colors, preservatives).<br><br>
We're now *strongly* suspecting eggs, and we have about 10 other foods out at the moment. I really don't think it could be wheat or dairy. We've been eating soy as an ingredient, but since I suspect soy sauce, perhaps I'll try to take out all soy and see what happens. And of course, sweet potato is a big trigger for him.<br><br>
*what would "fruit with seeds" be? Would that mean fruit that you eat the seeds, like kiwi? So it would exclude apple, etc?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts