Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far this summer, I have read Dumbing Us Down, The big Book of Homeschooling, and a couple of others. One was really silly to me - it talked about my dh as my "Leader" :LOL (now he uses this real deep overlord voice and tells me to "Obey the Leader!!!"
: :LOL )

Anyway, what I'm wondering is what are your Homeschooling must reads?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Anything written by John Holt is a must read for every homeschooler, not just unschoolers. I like The Unschooling Handbook also.

Many books by Linda Dobson were very helpful for me to read when getting started.

Waldorf homeschool books that I've liked best are:
Over the Rainbow Bridge
Waldorf Education: A Family Guide
Anything written by Donna Simmons
You Are Your Child's First Teacher
OM Heart of Learning

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Instead of Education John Holt (or just about anything by him actually lol)

The Unschooling Handbook, by Mary Griffith

Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I like alot of the ones already mentioned (The Unschooling Handbook; The Teenage Liberation Handbook).

One that I checked out the library a few days ago was also really good and very pertinent to me. It was Freedom Challenge: African American Homeschoolers. It's edited by Grace Llewellyn and has essays from parents who homeschool as well as some kids and adolescents that are being homeschooled. The families vary in styles from school at home to unschooling. I really enjoyed it mainly because (although homeschooling is becoming more and more diverse), many anecdotes and real life stories I hear are from white families. The book addressed alot of issues that I had thought about.

Also, it's always good to hear real life stories from people who are doing exactly what you dream of doing.

Kylix

1 - 5 of 5 Posts