Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH and I are working on a 5 year plan to move out of the city and to a smaller town (doesn't have to be tiny, just affordable). I thought I'd ask you mamas where your favorite places are and why.

I tend to prefer the west side, places near water, reasonable cost of living, I'd like at least a couple of acres (want some chickens and to grow a bunch of our food!)...but all of these are ideals.

Thanks for any input!!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I love Waldport just south of Newport OR. If I could I would be there in a heartbeat. I have relatives that live there and I wish I could stay everytime we go visit.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Just my preferences...anywhere on the Oregon coast, Pendleton area (we LOVED Athena/Weston), Milton-Freewater, and Walla Walla, Wa. I was born in Pendleton but only lived there for the first 6 years, then moved away and DH, the kids and I moved back to take care of my dad and while we lived in a nasty awful little trailer, we had lots of room to play on my SIL's property on the Umatilla reservation, the kids went to school in Athena, my dad went to the VA doctor in Walla Walla and we got the best apples I've ever tasted at a private orchard in Milton-Freewater. It's a good place to raise a family.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I live in Pendleton - it's very affordable, and I like it for many reasons, but it's nowhere near water.

Walla Walla is not small, nor affordable, but very nice. It's supposed to be the "next Bend," which judging from the property values may be true.

I've worked a lot in Milton-Freewater, and I don't like it at all. It may start to change for the better due to the improved economy in Walla Walla.

For a REALLY small town, Athena is wonderful.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Love the coast of Oregon. Love Silverton, but don't know what affordable is to you. Good luck mama!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I vote OR coast as well... Nothing like it in the world. For WA I like Shelton and all the little towns along the west side of the bay- in the Olympic Nat. Forrest side.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Do you mean Westside as in Pdx Westside, or Seattle Westside???

Because you said OR/WA, I'll give you my opine about Battle Ground.

Battle Ground is a gorgeous place to live. The city itself isn't anything special...one cute little downtown area, but it's nothing to move here for itself.

There is, however, a naturopath ped and herb center here that is pretty well known in the area.

We live a little north of town, towards Mt. St. Helens. The area is hilly forests, has lots of trails for walking, waterfalls, old cedars, rolling farmland. There are lakes pretty close for boating and fishing, a little north for swimming and recreation. The drive from Battle Ground to Mt. St. Helens is absolutley gorgeous. Battle Ground can be the launching pad for several different day "Gas tank Getaways". As far as scenery goes, we have it all.

It is getting expensive out here, because more families are moving away from the city (Vancouver and Pdx) to have more room and land.

Washington State University in Vancouver is very closeby, and that campus is absolutely breathtaking with it's views. The campus actually has a really cool water fountain that is meant for kids to play in.

There is a large apostolic lutheran element out here, lots of women with lots of children (5-6 is not uncommon), wearing dresses (don't get me wrong, they look pretty chic to me, but frighteningly similar to each other), long hair, no makeup...again, nothing wrong with that, but it is a little disturbing to me, and I wonder what they are taught and told to look a certain way to "fit in" and be obedient to church rules and expectations....

In school, the apostolic children group together and can be very mean to outsiders coming into the area. It's taken my kids almost a year to feel like they are finally fitting in and making friends. There was lots of teasing because my son had long hair, and none of us go to church. Anything different and unusual to the local kids was up for discussion and teasing about. It was pretty hard on my sensitive, liberal-minded kids.

But the faculty and teachers have all been great, schools are ehhh...okay....there are lots of recreation opportunities for the kids....lots of homeschoolers and support (but again, most are probably christian/apostolic based homeschoolers), and new construction is popping up everywhere with new housing developments and new schools.

You can see a little more of my area and my land specifically if you go here www.flickr.com/photos/arazas and look around.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Manzanita on the Oregon Coast...I wish I could afford a second home there to retire to. It won't be anywhere near affordable when I actually retire. We've been trying to convince my parents to invest in a property there. It is progressive-minded given how small it is. I grew up in small town USA and will not raise my kids there for various reasons, but Manzanita I could do. It is beautiful...also love Yachats, but not too sure of its progressiveness.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm really enamoured with Hood River. . . but I don't think it's very affordable.

It seems like all the great places are not so affordable.

The Walla Walla area as pp's have said, is nice but it gets really foggy in the winter for months on end.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Aberdeen?

I like Snohomish. It's northeast of Seattle by not too far. Nice farming area and fairly liberal. And it doesn't seem to have the sketchy meth element that so many small towns in WA do.

La Conner is kinda cute, too. I also really like parts of Whidbey Island and other islands in Puget Sound.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM:
Aberdeen?
That one made me wonder too...
Me too, but I didn't want to say anything if the town has turned around, I have not been there for 2 years- but I was thinking the same dang thing

You know to each their own!

·
Registered
534 Posts
You could try Port Angeles up on the Olympic Peninsula. It's very gorgeous there. Lots of National park access. Pretty lakes and mountains and about an hour from the ocean but still on the straits of juan de fuca. However there are very few jobs there though so the unemployment rate is pretty high there but that is about all I can find wrong with it! If you have a job that comes with you or you are lucky enough to find one there it is a great place to live.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crayon View Post
Me too, but I didn't want to say anything if the town has turned around, I have not been there for 2 years- but I was thinking the same dang thing

You know to each their own!

Add me to that list too!

I love all the little towns on the islands around Puget Sound here in WA.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Aberdeen is getting better but still not so great. I live nearby on the coast at Westport and it is really nice...it is going thru a lot of changes and improvements/development right now. I love it here!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.