Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get dd some new toys and am interested to know what toys your kiddos keep going back to. She is 19 months and likes her stacking blocks and baby dolls and enjoys coloring a lot.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I have a July '05 baby too

She loves her big sisters' thomas tracks. Starting to put them together & run the trains on them. (I make the track but she will connect some, she just does them in a line instead of closing the track).

She also likes megablocks / bristle blocks. Puzzles are a hit too, she has two from Melissa & Doug one is a magnetic fishing, and the other is a magnetic bug catching. She's starting to get "real" jigsaw puzzles, like the 4 - 6 piece ones.

Oh, and her dollhouse (we have the fisher price twins one but it does have chocables) and little people.

HTH

Rach

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
DD (27 months) plays with each of these every single day:

dollhouse people (or any other people figures)
play dishes and food
playsilks
musical instruments
books
toy vehicles (especially planes and trains)
realistic animal figures

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Around here, dd loves books and anything artsy. Markers, paint, play doh, a dry erase board is great, although the markers are kind of stinky. I got her a little wooden house and wooden people, but she's not into them quite yet. She also likes her wooden magnets.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Art stuff. Both my ds's,ages 2 and 4, love markers,paints,cutting and pasting pieces of construction paper,things like that. My 2 yr old really doesn't have a specific toy he likes,he pretty much makes toys out of things that *aren't* toys.
The only thing he consistently uses every single day is his little tricycle (I let him keep it in the house).

·
Registered
212 Posts
The toys my dd always goes to each day are:

puzzles, puzzles and more puzzles (foam puzzles and wooden ones)
wooden shape sorters, stacking rings, etc.
her kitchen/food stuff
coloring/drawing on her easel or paper at her table (or anywhere in the house)
trains
musical instruments
books
blocks
baby doll stuff

She loves to play, and has a short attention span! LOL

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Let's see, I have a 15 month old boy but I watch a girl born in July 05. When she is over her favorite toys are:

Stickers

This Melissa and Doug push toy: http://www.gummylump.com/front/f_product.php?id=2183

The Flash Beat Drum--holy cow, this one has been a favorite for MONTHS and every child that comes over here goes crazy for it. I've had it for about 6 months now and they never get bored. http://www.cambitoys.com/award-winni...beat-drum.html

Small wooden doll cradle and a 1980s Cabbage Patch Preemie

Lego Quatros

Melissa and Doug fridge magnets--they pull them off the fridge, stick them on the stove, move them from one fridge door to the other, test out all the surfaces in the house to see where they stick, etc. etc. They love the magnets. They go in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-F.../dp/B00006JZCM

·
Registered
351 Posts
My ds is 20 months and loves to draw on his easel (and anything else if I would let him!), he also loves his push along truck and a toy that I bought for $2 which is a cylinder with bells inside with a long handle.

His favourite household stuff is the vacuum cleaner (he spent 20 minutes hoovering the living room the other day!) the mop and our dog! He also really enjoys cooking with me, I often notice he eats a lot better when he has cooked it 'himself'!

I have a lot of stuff he doesn't seem to care about!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Slide (indoor/ outdoor)
Kapla Blocks (very cool & worth the $)
little rubber animals (from the bins at Target)
books, books, books...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Play kitchen, hands down, purchased at 18 months and she's nearly three. She uses it every single day. We have the tiny one from Magic Cabin and love it. Empty egg cartons have been added recently. She loves them too.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
My daughter (she's older, but I'm also thinking back to that age) enjoys

her easel (to paint, especially, but also for coloring or chalk)
her dollhouse & bendy dollhouse family (and vehicles)
play farm & tractor (fits dollhouse dolls)
kitchen and wooden food
dishes, tea set (also, small wooden cookies/cakes sets, wooden tea bags & sugar cubes--but these are small enough to have been choking hazards, so I waited until she was done teething and had stopped mouthing anything and everything)
dolls & clothes (when she was younger, she really liked pushing around a toy stroller. Still likes it, but did it more when she was younger. She also has a dolly sling)
playsilks
crayons and a small sketch book for coloring. Stickers. She's getting scissors in her Easter basket, too.
puzzles (into jigsaw puzzles, now)
stacking/nesting cups (amazes me that these still get so much use, but she spreads them out so all her dolls get one, she puts various toy foods in them, and they seem to get played with each and every day)
finger puppets (she's just now getting into hand puppets, too)
clothes and hats for dress-up

She also loves small bags for toting things, small nesting suitcases for filling and emptying with doll clothes/small toys, etc.

She plays with all those things, but I'd say the kitchen is the top draw. We got a tabletop stove and tabletop sink, outfitted them with great wooden pots & pans and food, and they have sooooo much play value.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
DS plays with his trains everyday-both the thomas ones and the ikea ones with the tracks
He also uses his bristle blocks to make tunnels for those trains
If we had a slide, I am sure he would be on it all the time
He is also really into things he can push around both inside and outside-he has a tonka truck, a ride on toy that you can also push around
Oh and he loves to play with his beachball

·
Registered
643 Posts
My DD, who is 2.5, plays with her play kitchen all the time. Another big hit is a Little People dollhouse that we got at a garage sale. Her Little People farm set has been a long time favorite too.

She also plays with stuffed animals quite a bit. Right now, diaper changing is a big theme with her animals. I try to change the diaper, the animal runs away. Hilarity ensues.

Dress up clothes and purses are a hit around here too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am getting great ideas! Thanks!

Been wanting to get a play kitchen for awhile. That probably will be my next big buy.

She is constantly asking to watch tv, and I feel really bad about starting that habit
:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
books,not exactly a toy but used frequently
small netal bowls & cups
playsilks
one of those wooden push toys, that has other parts that move, i know im not explaining it well butit comesc apart in 3 pieces & ds loves to take it apart & put it back together. the stick part also functions as a fishing rod

tricycle ($2 at a yard sale)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.