Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a very bad week. A very bad couple of weeks. We've been cycling through a summer virus here, and it hasn't been pretty. Plus, it's been 105+ every day, so the heat is really draining on top of being ill. Not to mention that life goes on (as we all know) and I have had a million things to do that can't go undone. So ...
:

It is so tempting to go back to eating quick and easy crap when I feel tired and run down, though I know that is the very last thing my body needs to help it rebuild. In fact, eating crap will most likely prolong that tired and run down feeling. As I know I'm not the only one who has busy or sickly or busy and sickly weeks, I thought perhaps wew might share ideas for NT "convenience" foods.

What do you keep on hand for quick, easy meals? Snacks? Snacks the kids (and DH
) can feed themselves, for when Mom is sick in bed? Got any NT friendly freezer meals, things that you can make ahead and have in the freezer, ready to pull out and reheat when busy days and sick kids overwhelm you?

I really think this is the main issue with the SAD diet, in that it accomodates our more hectic lifestlye and is difficult to get away from when we're still living on the go, go, go. KWIM?

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
well, i do keep a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables around--so that's easy. yogurt and kefir are also simple. i roast chickens and make chicken salad (i find roasting a chicken really easy because you can walk away from it for an hour, flip it, and then come back after another hour and it's done. then, let it cool for an hour, pull the meat from the bones, and make a quick chicken salad that can be refridgerated).

i don't make my own breads yet, but i do keep sprouted grain breads and wasa crackers around as well as raw cheese so that i can make a quick and easy grilled cheese sandwich. my husband and i also buy traditional meats from the italian deli (dried beef, procuitto ham, etc) so i can 'comb' those into his sandwiches (or he can make them).

i also like to make pre-made mushroom 'custards'. essentially, i slice various mushrooms and reduce them with leeks and a bit of garlic, followed by fresh sage and parsley. then i add eggs and milk (more milk than eggs). I put them in individual little baking dishes (the size of muffins) and then put them in a pan with water so that they bake evenly. they, and quiches, will keep for a couple of days. they're good cold or room temp. and you can make them with meat in them. i just don't.

also, pickled herring is relatively simple. i have figured out how to do the 'natural' sauce for it. my husband loves this with lard spread, fresh tomato, and onion on sprouted rye bread slices (yes, we are scandinavian! LOL).

i find that most of these things are pretty simple. many can be made in advance and last a few days at least.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I find eggs are a pretty good convenience food if you like them -- prepeeled hardboiled ones or a bowl of egg salad can make a quick snack. I like to keep celery and carrots in water in the fridge too.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdmama33
Got any NT friendly freezer meals, things that you can make ahead and have in the freezer, ready to pull out and reheat when busy days and sick kids overwhelm you?
I find that crockpot meals freeze and reheat the best and take very little active time to make a lot of. Braised meats are very NT and extremely easy to digest. I make giant crockpots of beef stews, pot roasts, lamb shanks, chicken, bone broths, etc. I've adapted a lot of recipes into crockpot recipes. Anything that's normally cooked in the oven or in a pot is adaptable.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Here are some of our standard snacks/easy foods. I can't seem to cook much of anything to keep for a bad day (e eat it before it gets frozen), so I'm left picking from more simple foods.

Snacks:
fruit
yogurt ( I mix 1/3 Stoneyfield with 2/3 my 24 hour yogurt. This seems to be sweet enough for my boys to eat/enjoy)
apples with peanut butter
popsicles (I posted my popsicle recipe here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...23#post5610323) thank goodness we can search again!

Meals:
Extra cooked meats in the freezer (sometimes I have a leftover chicken breast or whatever)
Pasta (not-so-NT, but I get the organic whole grain from Trader Joes) simmered in broth, with Ketchup on the side for my younger ds.
Eggs are always good/easy

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Good topic!

Roasted meat (right now I am cooking a turkey to keep in fridge for salads and sandwiches)
yogurt
nuts
Ezequiel bread
eggs

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know, I had never even thought about mixing yogurts. My oldest DS and DH are not at all happy about homemade yogurt. Honestly, I much prefer store bought, too, but I can deal with the homemade. Maybe I'll buy some yogurt and mix it with my own and see what happens. I know I haven't had much luck trying to flavor my yogurt, either, so maybe that will be just enough to help with that, too.

The crockpot is a good idea, too. I've been thinking about making some different soups to freeze, as everyone here likes soup, but I didn't want to mess with having the stove on forever in this heat. (Slow roasting chicken overnight is bad enough.) My favorite freezer recipes used to be lasagne and stuffed shells and the like, but now that pasta is out, so are those. Think stuffed cabbage would freeze and reheat well? I have a good crockpot recipe for that.

I just roasted two chickens last night. DS2 won't touch chicken (or turkey or beef, unless it's in processed forms like salami and such) with a ten foot pole. And he won't eat eggs, either, unless they are poached on toast or toad in the hole or the like. Doesn't much care for nuts, though he'll eat nut butters. Really, he's my pickiest eater and the one I have the most difficult time with when I'm feeling rushed and sick and unable to cope.

Popsicles are good. We make a lot of those. I put all kinds of healthy stuff into them, too, like kefir and veggies and egg yolks. I need to get another popsicle mold so that I can make more at once, actually.

Keep them coming, NTers.
You're knocking loose some ideas in my head.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by twins10705
I find eggs are a pretty good convenience food if you like them -- prepeeled hardboiled ones or a bowl of egg salad can make a quick snack. I like to keep celery and carrots in water in the fridge too.
yes, hardboiled eggs have been a lifesaver here lately. It has been very very hot here as well.
I would say kefir too.
And a good roasted chicken in a slow cooker will last several quick meals.
I like to put a small chicken in my crockpot, add some herbs, garlic, onions, whatever, potatoes, carrots too and a bit of olive oil or butter, salt and then when the last 30 min. are up, add a bit of water, and some rice.The rice fluffs up nice in there and tastes really good and has all the good juices from the chicken.
And all I do is cut stuff, throw it in, and voila!

then you can use leftovers cut up with veggies for salad, or make sandwhiches.

i like to keep lots of fresh fruit in the fridge.
i find soaking meusli for morning is good too. At night, put meusli in a closing container with milk and or milk/cream to just cover. Take out of the fridge in the morning and eat

We just got over a nasty virus here too
I am STILL recovering as I got a nasty sinus/chest infection on top of it.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Quote:

You know, I had never even thought about mixing yogurts. My oldest DS and DH are not at all happy about homemade yogurt. Honestly, I much prefer store bought, too, but I can deal with the homemade. Maybe I'll buy some yogurt and mix it with my own and see what happens. I know I haven't had much luck trying to flavor my yogurt, either, so maybe that will be just enough to help with that, too.
How are you flavoring your yogurt? We've recently switched to homemade yogurt from store-bought and it's been a big hit. We do flavor and sweeten it, however. (None of us cares for it just plain.) I flavor and sweeten one serving at a time, but I imagine you can do it with a whole batch if you wish.

With fruits, I usually am using frozen, so I microwave a few pieces to soften and warm them slightly. I find that if they are a little warm, they exude more flavor. I then mash a few pieces and leave a few larger chunks (unless the person I'm making it for doesn't want chunks.
) This only takes a few seconds. I pour in 6 - 8 oz of plain yogurt from the pitcher in the fridge and add sweetener, usually raw honey, though sometimes maple syrup or agave nectar. We all feel it's much creamier and fruiter than the store bought, and without the processed sugar. (I'm pretty sure it turns out to be *less* sweetener as well, since the fresh yogurt isn't very tart to begin with.)

Other flavoring ideas that are even easier than fruit: vanilla (not sure if that's NT -- I'm just lurking!), which is especially good with maple syrup (also with tart cherries!
), or just maple syrup alone.

I don't know if this is any different than you have been doing, but if so, I hope it gives you some ideas!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your fresh yogurt isn't very tart? Because my fresh yogurt is incredibly tart! Even if I don't make 24 hour yogurt, and I only let it sit for 4-6 instead, it's still much more tart than store bought plain yogurt.

As for flavoring, what I've been doing is throwing some fresh or frozen fruit into the blender with the yogurt and a bit of stevia and/or raw honey. For some reason, it turns out runny and/or gloopy and never really tastes like the fruit. Maybe I'll try heating the fruit in a pan and then mashing it up and adding Rapadura or honey or something to try to make a fruit syrup type thing.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leilalu
And a good roasted chicken in a slow cooker will last several quick meals.
I like to put a small chicken in my crockpot, add some herbs, garlic, onions, whatever, potatoes, carrots too and a bit of olive oil or butter, salt and then when the last 30 min. are up, add a bit of water, and some rice.The rice fluffs up nice in there and tastes really good and has all the good juices from the chicken.
And all I do is cut stuff, throw it in, and voila!
So, before you add the water to cook the rice, there's no liquid in the slow cooker? I've never tried "roasting" a chicken in the slow cooker. I've often done boiled chicken whole in the slow cooker, to make stock and cook the chicken at the same time. Hmmmm ... must give that a try.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Quote:

So, before you add the water to cook the rice, there's no liquid in the slow cooker? I've never tried "roasting" a chicken in the slow cooker. I've often done boiled chicken whole in the slow cooker, to make stock and cook the chicken at the same time. Hmmmm ... must give that a try.
Oh, there is definitely liquid
Plenty of chicken juices flowing.
But I find I still need to add some water. And I try to do it as quickly as possible. I don'/t measure, so I can't give exact examples, only estimates. The reason I do it quickly is that I heard you can lose alot of the heat in a slow cooker by opening it even for a minute.
So I open it quick, pour some water, carefully pour in rice in all the pockets of juice/water around the chicken, making sure the liquid covers the rice, assesing whether there will be enough liquid or not. then I cook for about 30 longer. but with brown or wild rice, you need a bit longer. I love jasmine rice
This is all on high heat, BTW.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Smoothies made with homemade kefir or yogurt and whatever raw greens, avocado, frozen mangos or pineapples and coconut milk.

Fruit crisp is quick, but be sure to bake first thing in the morning when it's hot. Here's my basic recipe. (This is sweet and a real comfort food for me, but I sometimes do serve it for dinner.)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup butter
maple syrup or molasses or honey to taste
cut butter into flour and mix in oats and sweetener. Line bottom of pan with fruit and press flour/oat/butter mixture on top. Bake 30 min 350F.

When we are stressed or short on cash, I make a lot of lentil or garbanzo bean curry dishes with brown rice. I don't loaned out my NT cookbook and can't remember what Sally F. has to say about these however, so I won't post my quick recipes unless someone says they're kosher

Not the best additions to this thread, but, better than SAD.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Quote:

Your fresh yogurt isn't very tart? Because my fresh yogurt is incredibly tart! Even if I don't make 24 hour yogurt, and I only let it sit for 4-6 instead, it's still much more tart than store bought plain yogurt.
If your starter is very tart, your yogurt will be tart as well. Find a container of plain yogurt (at the store) that has the cultures you want -- the more the better. Stoneyfield farm has numerous strains, but there are other good brands as well. Get it as fresh as you can -- the expiration date should be well into the future. If you start with that and only make batches that you will use up in a few days, then you can keep using the remnants of your homemade yogurt as a starter for as long as you like. I have to re-purchase a starter yogurt every once in a while if my homemade yogurt starts to get too tart.

Quote:
As for flavoring, what I've been doing is throwing some fresh or frozen fruit into the blender with the yogurt and a bit of stevia and/or raw honey. For some reason, it turns out runny and/or gloopy and never really tastes like the fruit.
Yeah, putting the yogurt in the blender will turn it into a smoothie.
You need to handle the yogurt gently to keep the familiar yogurt consistancy.

Quote:
Maybe I'll try heating the fruit in a pan and then mashing it up and adding Rapadura or honey or something to try to make a fruit syrup type thing.
That sounds like it would work well. If your kids don't like chunks, you could put the fruit in the blender first, then heat the puree a little. I do find that warming the fruit helps bring out the flavor, especially for frozen fruit which can be a little bland. Good luck!

ETA: If buying a fresh starter still doesn't work to bring down the tartness, PM me and I'll give you the instructions I follow to make my yogurt. It's super easy. I don't know if the method would contribute to tarness or not, but it might be worth a try if you are still getting very tart results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The oriental beef salad is great the meat is precooked then store it with the marinade in meal size portions in the freezer. All you need is to defrost and add the salad part- the first time I made it I didn't read it correctly and added greens to it and it was still great.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
This summer I have been drinking raw milk when I go anywhere to avoid restaurants. It is a very good meal replacement for any occasion.

·
Registered
709 Posts
My easy quick "car" foods are....

Crispy Almonds
Crispy Pancakes

Raw Cheddar Cheese Cubes

Hard Boiled Eggs

Fruit & Yogurt

Crispy Nut butters & Really Raw honey on sprouted bread.

As far as convenience....the crockpot is my friend.

I roast a "sticky" chicken twice a week. Once for dinner and once to make chicken salad. I add in grapes, apples & crispy nuts to make an NT waldorf.

I keep egg salad, tuna salad & chicken salad in the frig all the time.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Renee, where do you get your raw cheddar cheese cubes?

Thanks!
We travel with hard boiled eggs too.
Thanks also for a great list!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rstump
My easy quick "car" foods are....

Crispy Almonds
Crispy Pancakes

Raw Cheddar Cheese Cubes

Hard Boiled Eggs

Fruit & Yogurt

Crispy Nut butters & Really Raw honey on sprouted bread.

As far as convenience....the crockpot is my friend.

I roast a "sticky" chicken twice a week. Once for dinner and once to make chicken salad. I add in grapes, apples & crispy nuts to make an NT waldorf.

I keep egg salad, tuna salad & chicken salad in the frig all the time.
Sounds yummy!!!!
Help me out with crispy pancakes, sounds interesting!!!! And "sticky" chicken??? Wanna share the recipes??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts