Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ask away and I'll keep a look out for answers in my reading. I've already found some interesting nuggets. I'm going to pitch an article to a magazine about phytates so I realized I can't put a lot on my website (because then it wouldn't be "new") but I might create an email phytates course or some such since I know you are all phytate crazy.
That's of course, if I can figure out how to get the emails to you since apparently the newsletter has been problemmatic.
:

·
Registered
759 Posts
ah...good
I have a question. What happens to the phytates when you soak? Do they get broken down (into what?) or do they just get leached out of the grain/nut/legume ( and so should you thow away the soaking water/whey/kefire etc?)

Thanks a bunch!

Tanya

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtosimon View Post
um, whats a phytate?
Good. I wasn't going to start there but I obviously should and work in Tanya's.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
does corn contain alot of phytic acid? does nixtamalizing (like in hominy) reduce the phytic acid?

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Do phylates block your absorbsion minerals in the other foods? For example, if I do not treat the beans for phylates in my chili, will I not absorb the nutrients form the meat either or just the beans?

Hope that makes sense!
:
Jen

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I've read, though I can't recall where, that long, slow cooking reduces phytate levels better than more rapid cooking. Is that true? So, could we reduce phytate levels even further if we soak, then cook on low in a crockpot for four hours, instead of boiling for an hour?

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcarwyn View Post
Ha...betcha you wished you hadn't asked

No. This is cool.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:
long, slow cooking reduces phytate levels better than more rapid cooking.
Don't know, but on the cookingNT.com site, she has a crockpot lentil recipe that says to cook on low 6 - 8 hours, and does not include soaking the lentils beforehand, so maybe that's enough ? I guess this is another ques. for Amanda !

And Amanda, if we signed up for your newsletter, will we automatically be put on this phytate or other emails list ?? Please please say yes b/c yes we are phtate-crazy around here

·
Registered
828 Posts
Does sourdough fermentation work as well as other methods at getting rid of phytates?

Is it bad for you to eat whole grain products that have not been soaked/sprouted, or are they just not quite as nutritious?

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think most people on my list right now are phytate crazy and so I thought about just subscribing everyone to the phytate course. But then, how do I really know who's on the list? So I don't know what I'm going to do. My first problem is figuring out how to get the newsletter to Vaquita.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
But then, how do I really know who's on the list? So I don't know what I'm going to do.
If it's any help... maybe just send the phytate newsletter to everyone on your other newsletter list, and a note to reply back with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line if they don't want the phytate news... then it may be easier manage.

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving !

·
Registered
993 Posts
Beans, beans, beans! I want to know more about soaking and cooking beans to reduce phytates.

What if I don't have access to a 140 degree environment to soak my beans in? How long at each temp. would be helpful info to have, for example, how long should beans be soaked if the water is 90 degrees? Or 60 degrees?

And I'm very interested in knowing what alkaline substance traditional peoples added to their bean soaking water. Why isn't salt the likely ingredient?? Salt is very traditional.

I'm also interested in what traditional process cornmeal should undergo to become more nutritious. Is soaking in an acidic medium enough for corn?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Cornmeal... yea, and do people soak the corn kernels in lime water and then rinse, dry, and then grind ?

OR (an easier way)
can you just grind dry corn, and then soak the cornmeal in lime water (if lime is edible, that is,... since you couldn't rinse it ) ?

Thank you !

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:
What if I don't have access to a 140 degree environment
Have you tried your oven, with the knob turned to just below "warm setting" - that's what works for me if I want to achieve 140 ... then I put my meat thermometer(which has a long cord with digital display outside oven) prong in the bowl of beans/water.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For those of you interested in corn, how do you tend to eat it? That is, are you making cornbread, polenta, etc?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts