Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just scraped, cleaned, and primed the worn part of our porch (the part between the stairs and the door). It was worn down to the wood in many places. I will put two coats of paint over the primed section in time for winter, and then next spring I will paint the entire porch deck. I figure the high-traffic area needs some extra coats of paint, and now I know to repaint just that section every year (and the rest less often). I didn't feel like doing it, but I did it anyway, because it's my house and I need to take care of it. Feeling mighty!

Of course, the cat walked through the paint while it was still wet. :rotflmao

How about you? What have you done lately that makes you feel like a single-super-momma?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Not much to report here, Worthy. But I am slowly making changed in my apt to make it more seasonal-depression-proof. I bought a few full-spectrum light bulbs to put in my regular lamps to see if that will help. It seems to already. I put two of them near the inner wall of my apt where it almost creates the illusion that we have windows on both sides of us. I want to get more. Kitchen and bathroom really need them.

I also purchased a couple orange "party" lights that give an amber glow. Those I switch on in the evening as the sun is setting, to help transition from bright lights to dark and help my brain and body get the msg that bedtime is soon. This way I can also keep my days longer once it starts getting dark at 4:30pm. I would have just bought those big orange glasses for myself but I want DD to benefit too. This was a lot cheaper than buying an actual light box and I don't have to stay in one room if I get a few more bulbs.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
8yo DS is having trouble making friends, so we are hosting a sleepover this weekend. He invited a few boys from school, and they are all really excited about it. It's DS's first sleepover, and probably some of the other boys too. I'm a little frazzled, my house needs a good cleaning, and we are poor, and stuff around the house is broken. They probably won't notice, but I get embarrassed if we are lower socio-economic status then they are used to. I wonder if I'm the only single mom in the whole school.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
My neighbours are often commenting on how hard it seems that I work. They have seen me carrying in loads of crush stone/concrete to put in a basement floor in a small coldroom. Climbing trees with pruners as the sun is setting, digging up the garden, and planting and growing food, hanging out my second floor windows painting the sills (I call it painting yoga....). I just tell them the window sills won't paint themselves and I grew up on a farm and can't stand unfinished jobs or letting my home fall into disrepair. But I'm feeling pretty good about all that I have accomplished.

And I still hear my xh's greatest ever inspirational speech of a "You could never look after this house on your own" (sneering at me after a fight where I retorted that I shouldn't have to leave....that HE should leave). Nothing like channelling that anger and hurt into a big fat "I told you so"....that gets me a home that is starting to look reasonably decent.:grin:

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Of course, the cat walked through the paint while it was still wet. :rotflmao
Me thinks it would look mighty awesome to dip the cat's feet in white paint and get some genuine catprints on the deck :)

I am sewing Halloween costumes and I think they are going to be AMAZING!!!!
Would love to see a pic if you wish to share!

8yo DS is having trouble making friends, so we are hosting a sleepover this weekend. He invited a few boys from school, and they are all really excited about it. It's DS's first sleepover, and probably some of the other boys too. I'm a little frazzled, my house needs a good cleaning, and we are poor, and stuff around the house is broken.
That's awesome! 8 yr old boys won't care about the state of the house, but they will remember feeling welcomed into another home. Have fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts