Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already read Birthing from Within, and Ina May's Spiritual Midwifery. Now I'm working on Active Birth and The Official Lamaze Guide.

What are you reading, or wanting to read?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am reading the Hypnobirthing book by Mongan, because I am taking that class right now (it's kind of early, but I couldn't take it later on due to scheduling conflicts with DH). I'm still debating whether to get the Hypnobabies home class materials as well and do that on my own, since there are no classes offered locally.

I skimmed through the Bradly Way book, and a Prenatal Fitness book, and the Baby Bargains book (the most useless of the 3, IMO) that my sister passed on to me.

Every week I read a little bit out of the Mayo Clinic pregnancy book, What to Expect When You're Expecting, and Pregnancy Week by Week out loud with DH.

I haven't started into the newborn care/parenting books yet. My sis gave me a copy of The Happiest Baby on the Block, but there's not much info there. I'll start reading more of those types of books in a month or two, when DH is traveling and I'll have more free time.

DH is reading the Hypnobirthing book on his own while we are taking the class. He hasn't read any other pregnancy books by himself. He usually just listens to what I read to him each week from those books I mentioned above.

What have your husbands/partners read so far?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2sew View Post
I haven't started into the newborn care/parenting books yet. My sis gave me a copy of The Happiest Baby on the Block, but there's not much info there.
You didn't find anything interesting in the Happiest Baby? We chanted the 5 S's daily! There is also a CD of sounds that was very helpful for my son when he was a little one.

The Happiest Toddler on the Block is also good. I was just thumbing through it a minute ago!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wasn't trying to say The Happiest Baby isn't useful, but I guess I had already learned about the techniques in The Happiest Baby, so it didn't offer me much that was new. Its kind of a narrowly focused book. I feel like I need to read more types of parenting/NB books that cover a more wide range of topics. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
oh yeah, i have what to expect... but i hate it and only really look at it if the tv is boring. I think it is filled with way too many things that could make someone with high anxiety worry even more.

I do have Pregnancy Week By Week, and i just unpacked it so i will start reading that as well again, but you know, weekly

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
I've been working on Mind Over Labor, which was highly recommended to me by my LLL leader.

And I think my next one is going to be Mother's Intention: How Belief Shapes Birth and/or Calm Birth.

My main problem at this point has been getting DH to read anything. I give him books to read on subjects he's expressed interest in (like EC), and they just sit there. I guess I'll wait until after the 20 week u/s and start pushing him - I think that's really what he's waiting for, he's really trying not to get his hopes up until we see that this baby is liable to come home.

I'd love any recommendations on good books on BF for DH, though. He's expressed some concerning sentiments about me NIP - specifically that he doesn't want me doing it, he wants me to take a bottle (of BM). He doesn't have a problem with EBF, just the concepts of me being the only one to feed the baby, and NIP, so far as I can tell.

·
Registered
563 Posts
cristeen
IMO
do you have any friends (specifically ones with supportive DHs) that can share their wisdom with your DH, also around here we have "daddy Bootcamp" classes that go over some of these things that daddys get worried about
good luck...I think pg is pretty abstract for a lot of guys, I think/hope it will change when the baby comes

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamia10 View Post
cristeen
IMO
do you have any friends (specifically ones with supportive DHs) that can share their wisdom with your DH, also around here we have "daddy Bootcamp" classes that go over some of these things that daddys get worried about
good luck...I think pg is pretty abstract for a lot of guys, I think/hope it will change when the baby comes
Unfortunately, all our friends are either confirmed bachelors or their kids are already much older. And none of them were EBFers.

Things will definitely get better - he's very committed to the baby, and fussing over me like a mother hen most days (did you eat lunch yet? have you had enough water? etc.) Mostly it's just fear of history repeating itself. He's trying very hard (as am I) not to get too attached to this little bean until we make it past the 20 wk u/s and can see that this one isn't going to have the health problems our son had.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I checked out Ina May's book from the library --- after flipping through it for a couple of days I'm ready to return it.

Otherwise I just read books when we go to the bookstore once a week or so. This past Sunday I flipped through the newest Baby Bargains book and a Dr. Sears monthly pregnancy book.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.