Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's like tuna in a can, I bought some (ok the Costco pack) a while ago, thinking it would be a good "staple" to have, you know never spoil could make a fast meal. Well it's just been sitting there for forever, I'm not sure what to do with it.

Oh and I'm veggie, so it would be for dh and the kids, the only thing I can think of is to make it like tuna, like a chicken sandwich but dh doesn't like mayo?

Ideas

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
You could mix it with pasta. Either warm with a creamy sauce (chicken and noodles) or a cold pasta salad with it crumbled up into it.

You could make a gravy with it and serve over biscuits or toast.

You could use it to make a pot pie.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Might it it work as a last-minute addition to stir-fries?

Enchiladas?

Soup (chicken and corn tortilla soup, cream of chicken and wild rice soup, coconut milk based soups, etc) and/or white chili?

A Broccoli-cheesey-chickeney-rice sort of dish?

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
It's great for quick soups. Just throw it with some canned chicken broth, cut-up vegetables (get the "soup veggies" that are already cut up in the store for extra convenience) a handful of egg noodles, and some parsley.

And you can make a mayo-free chicken salad too: I like to make one that is chicken, pomegranate seeds (or currants, or Craisins), pine nuts, shaved parmesan cheese, kosher salt and fresh pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Or mix it with some pesto sauce.

HTH!
~nick

·
Registered
795 Posts
This is one of the foods I feel guilty about keeping in my pantry, but it is a great staple in a pinch. We make a mean chicken salad with almost no mayo. You could leave it out completely, I think.

1 can chicken (large, the costco size)
1 T mayo
2-3 Ts fresh lemon juice (or more depending on your taste)
couple dashes of dried oregano
ground pepper

Easy, quick, yummy on toast or even popped in the broiler with a bit of grated cheese on top.

We also use it in soups and I have even used it my chicken tandoori recipe with great results (I had no other meat in the house and it was 4 PM - what's a girl to do with a DH who thinks he has to have meat for dinner?).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's two that I use. The first one I made up myself...my husband said it was 'really good' twice and he doesn't give compliments.

MY CHICKEN PARMIGIANA
This is kind of like a noodle-less chicken lasagna. I guess, if you wanted to you could use noodles in the layering.

Mix together and put into a greased 9X9" 'cake' pan:

1 c Cottage cheese - Small curd
1/3 c Grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp. Basil
1 egg
-------------------
1 1/4 c. shredded mozzarella

I put a 4 cup mixing bowl full of fresh baby spinach (optional but really good) - had to pack it in!

Put the canned chicken on top of it, then some of the mozzarella, then the sauce. (I sprinkled the chicken with coarse ground garlic salt first.)

Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 45 min. or so until it's hot all the way thru and bubbly. You may have to cover it loosely with foil. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 5-8 minutes longer. Let stand 25 mn.

IMPOSSIBLE CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI PIE

2 cans chunk chicken, well drained
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen, chopped broccoli, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (Debbie uses fat free cheese)
1 c. milk
3 eggs, can use Egg Beaters
1/2 c. Bisquick
1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. dried thyme leaves
Savory Topping (see below)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Layer chicken, broccoli, and cheese in greased pie plate. Beat remaining ingredients except topping for 15 seconds in blender or 1 minute with hand beater. Pour over mixture in pie plate; bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with topping. Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes.

SAVORY TOPPING:
1/2 c. Bisquick
1/4 c. chopped nuts
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. firm margarine or butter

Mix, cutting in margarine or butter.

Get some more easy ideas here: http://www.recipegoldmine.com/pieimp/pieimp.html

Franzia

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.