Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Copied this part from my reply in another thread:
I love living in Old Town Longmont, (I grew up in Boulder and lived there until 3 years ago.) We live in the historic westside neighborhood in a house that was built in 1910. We rent the house.

I do think that there is a good progressive community in Longmont if you seek it out and Boulder is close enough to be involved in the community there as well. I do agree that there is not much within walking distance as far as grocery stores or other more practical stores are concerned. Downtown/old town is kind of between 3rd and 11th, between Sunset and Baker (several blocks east & west of main street.) Any farther than about 5 blocks east of main is kind of a scummy area until you hit the newer areas in farther east Longmont. Houses in Old Town are really 250,000+ (250000 at the very low end for a decent house) There are more affordable neighborhoods I like in farther north & farther south longmont (Meadowlark & Park North in the north and Southmoor Park in the south)
While there is somewhat of a cowtown/conservative attitude in some arenas, if you seek out likeminded people there are plenty available--sometimes more so than in boulder because small businesses and moderate-income families can afford to stay here. There is a vitamin cottage (good health food store) on 17th & Main, and a few blocks north of that there is the Longmont Co-op Market. I like the Cheese Importer and Your Butcher Frank as good sources for meat & imported products... we get milk/dairy delivered from Royal crest dairy which is not organic but does not use hormones/antibiotics etc.
There is a beautiful little childrens' book store that I have never been in but it looks waldorfy/progressive to me.
There are two excellent waldorf schools in the area, one in boulder and one in gunbarrel (between boulder and longmont). There are several good montessori schools. The Niwot public school system has an excellent reputation (south and southwest longmont homes would be in their district). There are progressive charter schools in Boulder (i am not sure if a longmont resident can attend or not). There is a knitting/natural yarns store in old town... and a natural health/acupuncture clinic. there's also a nice natural foods restaurant on Main called the Spelt Berry.

Wild lands--yes there is access but mostly through Boulder... the mountains are beautiful and there are many gorgeous hiking trails in and around Boulder including Eldorado Springs (incredibly beautiful) and Chataqua Park.

DH & I both commute to work in Boulder. It takes me about 20 minutes-1/2 hour to get to work during rush hour.

Boulder is VERY racially homogenous in comparison to most other areas of the US. There is a large hispanic population in Longmont--and I think a moderate Asian population in Boulder. I do not see very many African-Americans.

Cost of renting a home: I have seen Houses in the paper for anywhere from 850-1300 dollars. You can definitely get a house for under 1000 a month. Apartments anywhere from 500-900 a month.
Cost of buying a home: For a single-family home, the very low end is around 180,000. I have seen many moderate-nice homes in the 200000-225000 range. For a townhome you could probably find one for 160000 and above.
www.coloproperty.com is a good website to look at if you are wanting to buy a house, to see what may be in your price range.
www.longmontfyi.com (classifieds) is good to find a rental.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
We live in Denver and have considered Longmont when we are on a 'must leave the city kick' As the pp said it's got a lot of great things about it. Since it's sort of become a bedroom community for the outrageously expensive Boulder, it's getting more progressive all the time.

They have an active LLL group.

If I were going to leave Denver, yet remain in Colo, it would be at the top of my list for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts