Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For immediately after birth. I have a Britax marathon that I would like to use a few months after, but I'm not sure what to do for the first few weeks. It's not like we will be running around a lot, and my 3yo marathon says rear facing starting at 5lbs. I wonder if that will be good enough. I have a 3.5yo(currently in the marathon and moving to a recaro young sport) and a 5.5yo(currently in a recaro young sport). The bucket we used for the other two is now expired. I need to get a new seat for my 3.5yo, so that we can use the marathon for baby. I just can't decide if another bucket seat is worth it. Both of my kids hated the bucket seat, and dd hated it with a passion in her tiny soul. What to do...what to do? Anyone else not using a bucket seat from birth?

ETA: I am having a home birth, but I need to have something ready anyway.

·
Registered
714 Posts
My cousin is giving me a Chicco Keyfit 30. Safe, free carseat - that's the good news! The bad news is it won't be available to me until December 29th, when my sister gets back from California with it. I'm not due until January 10th and an early (but full-term) birth is probably wishful thinking as I'm a first-timer, so I'm not too worried about it... but I'm not sure what we'll do if I have the baby before the carseat shows up. I'll probably try to find someone to borrow one from locally - I'm not sure if the hospital/police/sheriff/fire dept. do that here or not.

We're planning a homebirth, so it's not a HUGE issue, but my MW wants her clients to have one well-baby visit with a physician within a week after birth... so I need to be able to get to that.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
We have a Chicco Keyfit (the smaller one, not the keyfit 30)

I kinda have a question - but maybe this should go on the family safety board. We installed the car seat yesterday in my boyfriends car, on the passenger side in the back seat b/c thats where it seemed most stable. The question is, it seems to move a little bit, like if we push on it it slides a bit side to side. The seat belt is as tight as it will go. Is that b/c of the leather seats? my boyfriend insists that its supposed to do that - I'm just not convinced and having never needed to use a carseat before I just want it to be installed correctly.

Sorry for hyjaking the thread, I'll ask this again on family safety if I need to.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Have your boyfriend gently kneel on the car seat (not too hard becuase you don't want to break it!) and pull the seatbelt to tighten again. The car seat should not move at all when you push on it. Also, I would call your local fire station and see if they any certified safety techincians to either install or check it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
We are using the bucket type. We had to buy a new one because DH was in a car accident with they kids in the car when our DS2 was using our last one. The kids were secure and appeared to be uninjured. (I also checked them out, and adjusted their spines--since I am a chiro.) So we switched to a convertible when DS2 was 4months old.

I really like the Graco snugride even though we don't carry the baby around in it. We use a sling in stores and such. We found one for less than $80 online at Walmart and they ship free to their stores. So if your Walmart doesn't have a good selection you can get more choices online. I like #1 the security of the bucket type. #2 You can bring the bucket inside and get the baby into it in the warmth of your house.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthmg View Post
Have your boyfriend gently kneel on the car seat (not too hard becuase you don't want to break it!) and pull the seatbelt to tighten again. The car seat should not move at all when you push on it. Also, I would call your local fire station and see if they any certified safety techincians to either install or check it.
Thanks! Could it have something to do with the seats being leather and the seat being smooth plastic? Anyway, we will definitely try that and I wanted to go get it checked out, so we;ll see if we can do that after finals are over (baby's not due till 3 weeks after finals are over).

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm also using a Chicco Keyfit 30. I got a Britax Boulevard at my shower yesterday that I'll be using when LO is bigger.

·
Registered
589 Posts
WE were given a travel system with DD, so we will use the bucket for now, we have to convertibles, one for my truck and one for DHs truck, we will probably just do like we did with DD, invest in the best one we can when this baby is big enough. I don't think we can fit to bigger seats in the back of DHs pick up :p

·
Registered
212 Posts
We went right to our Britax Boulevard after the birth of my daughter 4 months ago and she was plenty "tall" enough at the shoulders. The Boulevard has an easier to adjust shoulder system.

We will be doing the same with the babe due in Jan.

·
Registered
236 Posts
We used our Britax Decathlon with DD right from birth - she was a 9 lb, 22 inch baby, so her size was never an issue. However, the convertibles (or, at least ours) don't lean quite as far back or have head support that is as good as the buckets, so for the first few weeks until she was able to hold her head up, I actually rode in the back with her and held it up with my hand or it would lean forward too much for my comfort. With that in mind, this time we have decided to go with a Britax companion (bucket-style seat) at first, and will upgrade to a Britax convertible whenever it makes sense to after that.

·
Registered
728 Posts
We'll be using DD's Graco Safeseat, its only 18 months old and matches my double stroller.

I don't see why you couldn't use a convertible to start with.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was looking at the graco safeseat.

I looked today for safety ratings of infant carseats but apparently I'm a moron cause I couldn't find the ones I was looking for. I could only find ease of use and I don't care about those ratings!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thyra View Post
Thanks! Could it have something to do with the seats being leather and the seat being smooth plastic? Anyway, we will definitely try that and I wanted to go get it checked out, so we;ll see if we can do that after finals are over (baby's not due till 3 weeks after finals are over).
Yes, it could be the leather seats. It isn't supposed to move on any seat, though. My local EMS garage checks seats for free every Monday. You don't even need an appointment. Check the car seat safety board. I know the link to seat check sites was up there somewhere. You can find your local clinics there, and also start making calls if you need to. There is often more than a 3 week wait at the local PD for their checks. You don't want to miss out by not getting an appointment if you need one.

BTW, My local folks like to use those non-slip mats you line shelves with to keep seats from moving around. I will be taking my van down in 2 weeks to get all of the seats checked. I am sure they will throw one in under the bucket we got from a friend for new baby. My old one had expired.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Cutie, if I were you I'd spring for another infant seat (that's what I'm doing - our infant seat is expired, too), just because they're the safest possible.

I saw crash test videos using front facing, rear facing, and infant seats and it is AMAZING how much movement there is in the "upright seats" as opposed to the infant.

Maybe you can borrow a friend's infant seat just to cover the birth/immediate postpartum time and then after a couple of weeks, take your baby to the store and try him out in all the infant seats to see which he likes best.

HTH!

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I've got a Graco bucket we'll use for a few months and then I'm going to con some family member into buying us a convertible, mostly likely one of the radian ones. I've got a sedan and a boulevard in the back seat already and I'd like to eventually do (God willing, though right?) three across and radian seats are really narrow. I loooove the boulevard but there's no way to do three across of *those*.

I'm thinking way to far ahead ...

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
We will be using our graco snugride for the first couple of months. Then when that gets to be enough I will get another Marathon. I hate bucket seats- if I didn't already have one I would spring for a Boulevard.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
We'll probably be using a Graco Safeseat (now the Snugride 32) again or the Chicco Keyfit. We sold Ilana's so we need to get a new one and haven't done it yet.

Britax seats are notoriously BAD for nb babies. For you to use the seat, the baby's shoulders need to be even w/ or BELOW the bottom slots. The bottom slots on their seats range from 9.5-10", a normal nb is 7-8" for torso. I have pics of Ilana in one at 7# and it's horrible, the straps are up by her ears etc. She wasn't even w/ the bottom slots of the MA till she was 10 mos old. She used her Safeseat till she was 16 mos old and then moved to a MA.

Quote:
BTW, My local folks like to use those non-slip mats you line shelves with to keep seats from moving around. I will be taking my van down in 2 weeks to get all of the seats checked. I am sure they will throw one in under the bucket we got from a friend for new baby.
Don't let them do this. This is OLD protocol and does nothing but fake parents out. The mats grip the seat to the vehicle seat and make the parents think the seat is in tight when it's not at all. I NEVER use this stuff, if you can't get a seat tight w/out it, you need to try harder. Leather is not easy, but it's completely possible to get a seat tight on leather w/ nothing under it. You want a seat to move less than an inch side to when grabbing it at the belt path. The front of the seat will move so don't worry about that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.