Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a DS with a food allergy to dairy and soy. Does anyone know what causes these allergies? I am allergic to dairy myself so I am pretty sure he got it from me. However, I was told that since I drank a lot of soy milk while I pregnant that it made him allergic. Oh... so hard to hear!
I did this? I thought that since I could not have dairy that I was doing a good thing. Anyone else ever hear this too?

Thank you!!

Many Blessings ~ Rachel

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops... sorry .. I just saw the thread called "How not to have an allergic child" good infor to read!!! I really do not want my second child to have to go throug what my little guy has gone through.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
SOmething that a lot of people don't seem to know is that ALLERGIES are inherited, not food allergies or environmental allergies. Sometimes people are shocked when they have a child w/ food allergies and say "Food allergies don't run in my family! How could this have happened?" Meanwhile both parents have seasonal allergies. Allergies are allergies. Some people have environmental/seasonal allergies only, some have food allergies only, but more commonly allergic people have both.

Just though I'd bring this up as food for thought.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just wanted to chime in that it's hard accepting how food allergies evolve because it IS related to what mom's eat. Most allergist will concede however, that it isn't completely understood how much exposure it takes to a food to create sensitization..could take a little, or perhaps a lot of exposure results in tolerance instead of sensitization. Message is, that you really shouldn't stress over it too much because they don't know enough about it!

I feel lots of guilt because both my kids have food allergies (dd-peanuts and tree nuts; ds- cow milk, eggs, bananas). They showed the allergy the very first time they ever ate the offending foods, so I believe the allergy developed while I was pg and nursing. It is definitely unfair to have those allergic genes. But in the big picture there are probably much worse conditions to have!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you LeAnnie and Wendy1221 for your responses! I really appreciate your thoughts!!
Thank you Wendy1221 for offering additonal assistance! I may take you up on that!
Yes LeAnnie, you are so right, there are many worse things that could have happened to our beautiful children! Great attitude!!
I really enjoyed both responses! Thank you again!
Rachel

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelS
Oops... sorry .. I just saw the thread called "How not to have an allergic child" good infor to read!!! I really do not want my second child to have to go throug what my little guy has gone through.
I just posted 2 studies to that thread which may be of interest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts