Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very dairy/lactose/molds intolerant. I know nothing about cheeses. Help me out here, mamas! What would you suggest keeping on hand for a small child (who luckily does not seem to have inherited my sensitivity)?

I went to the cheese aisle and I got dizzy from the choices. I don't know the first thing about what cheeses are healthy and a child might like.

Any suggestions? (even those that are "convienently packaged" in single serving sizes
: )

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I like Horizon's Organic cheeses. B/c cheese is usually an animal by-product, I think it's very important to buy organic.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My dd likes salty Italian cheeses like Romano, Fontina and Asiago. These aren't the best for her, plus they stink up the high chair. But she likes them so I indulge her sometimes. My dd won't eat cheddar or swiss, not salty enough, but I think some organic cheddar, mozzarella or swiss would make good finger food for a cheese-eating child. Are you looking in just the regular grocery or going to a health food or specialty store?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
My son has liked organic cheddar cheese since we started giving cheese at 12 months. (We waited until then out of allergy concerns, but it's too bad because he could have used the fat sooner.) He has enjoyed several brands, including Cabot Farms organic, a local New England one that I think has stopped being produced. Another one that he liked was Whole Food string cheese. String cheese is mozzarella. It's not as high fat as cheddar, and if your aim in introducing cheese at this age is to have more fat, you can wait on mozzarella.

The cheese that is healthy for an adult is not the cheese that is healthy for a toddler, in my opinion. I don't think adults need so much fat, and it's clear that toddlers should eat a lot of fat. Cheddar cheese is an efficient thing to feed a toddler! Plus it goes with apples or pears, I always make that argument to him. I don't think toddlers should eat conventionally produced dairy because they are so small that pesticides and antibiotics make a big difference in their bodies--my opinion again.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
We tend to buy small quantities of quality cheeses, usually depending what's on special. The only constant is organic raw milk cheddar and some organic string cheese for trips.

We either buy organic or no rBST.

DD1 will eat pretty much the full range of goat and cow's milk cheeses, but how much depends on the cheese. Milder cheeses like mild bries, havarti, gouda, mild cheddars, mozzarella's, etc, she'll eat at least an ounce serving. Stronger stuff like stinky brie, blue cheeses, sharp cheddars etc. she'll eat a bit with a pear, apple or cracker/bread... maybe a half ounce to an ounce, but no more. The only thing she's really not partial to is smoked cheeses. She's hooked on the expensive parmesan cheese on noodles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My first choice is organic raw grass-fed cheese. (I get it at the health food store.)
My second choice is any organic raw milk cheese.
My third choice is goat cheese.
My fourth choice would be any organic cheese.
My fifth choice is imported cheeses; most other countries do not allow Bovine Growth Hormone in their dairy products.
My sixth choice is none at all (notice Kraft cheese is not on the list!!)

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
My DS, like me, loves all cheese. Feta, gruyere, mozzarellas, blue, everything!

I think a good first cheese would be just basic, organic mild cheddar. Can't really go wrong there.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
I agree, just a mild Cheddar to start would be good. It is illegal to sell raw milk where I live, but the organic cheddar, according to the label, is made from unpasteurized milk. My ds loves Havarti. I love cheese curds, they have the advantage of being bite-sized without being processed/over-packaged as well, like cheese strings etc.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
My 4 year old just tried a hunk of organic moz the other day and ended up eating quite a bit.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
There are actually a few cheeses that even mildly lactose intolerant people can still eat: those are Danish Blue, old white cheddar, and Brie (not Camembert). Something about the way they are made I guess makes them easier to digest. I would suggest cheeses with a higher fat content like cheddar and havarti, mozzarella is nice and mild and a popular one with children, but there isn't too too much fat in it. If you're sure your dc is getting enough fat anyways I wouldn't worry about it. Also, some vegan cheeses exist that are good in quality, but make sure not to get the ones made with chemicals or casein (a by-product of factory-farming milk). My dd loves cheddar, mozzarella, havarti, FETA
, and goat's cheese. Those are the only ones she's really eaten... oh and parmesan over pasta and stuff. Make sure you always buy organic, or at the very least, local, small-scale farmed cheese.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
IMO, Organic Valley makes the best cheeses! We buy Jack cheese and it's great to melt in quasadillas and such. Fresh Mozerella is so good, you could make a fresh mozerella and tomatoe tart and sprinkle basil over the top! A little melted Brie and some fruit make a nice small meal. Gouda and a few whole wheat crackers are delicious! I could go on and on about cheese, but I would start mild with some Organic Valley Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can order raw organic cheddar or colby through Morningland dairy. Their hot pepper cobly and italian herb colby are especially tasty! I think the minimum order is 10lbs though, so it is better if you can find another family to go in with you. I did a quick websearch and came up with this as a contact number for them--
417-469-3817
If this doesnt work, LMK and I will find my ordersheet. it has been awhile since we ordered through them-- Ds has decided that he no longer likes cheese, lol.
heathe
r

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.