Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My volunteer pumkins are still doing well, but it just dawned on me today that they are white. I hadn't thought much about it, and since I've never grown pumkins before I'm not sure if that is normal. Do they color up once they are mature? The two larger ones are 3/4 of the size of the decorative pumpkins that I thought they were seeds of, but they are still very, very white. Do I maybe have some kind of odd mutation, or do all orange pumkins start out white?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Eh, they're usually greenish or yellowish turning to orange if they are gonna be orange. You may be growing white pumpkins, which are so very cool! Known as Luminas and ghost pumpkins, etc. They make great Fall and Halloween decorations. From what I know, they are not good for eating. Which has been confirmed for me by my local squirrels and other critters. They seem to chomp on all the other color pumpkins, squash, melons, etc. and then they dig into the white pumpkins as a last resort! Still makes me mad!
:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess theyreally are true volunteers! I have no idea where they came from (I assumed they sprouted from the orange pie-sized pumpkins I tossed in my little compost bin last fall), but I'm happy to have them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.