Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of crocheting some hat/booties sets for some friends due just before and just after I'm due. One knows she's having a girl, so that one's all done in a pretty light orange (think if you blended the colors in a dreamsicle). But the other two aren't planning on finding out gender until the baby is born... and I'm not trying to kid myself that I'll have time or motivation to be crocheting when their kiddos are born so close to this baby's birth.

So... what colors would you consider to be gender neutral? I'm one that would put anything on either if it was handmade for the baby, but if you could *choose* what would you consider okay for boy or girl?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My favorite baby blanket of my dd's is knitted purple and orange. Nice shades, though, not like a football team or anything.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I got a lot of yellow, orange and green for DS, before we knew what he was. I was thrilled. I am so sick of seeing him in blue nowadays. I am so sorry I told everyone that this one is going to be a girl. I should be grateful for the gifts, but everything, and I mean EVERYTING, is pink, light pink, dark pink....

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
All colors are "gender neutral."

I started buying FBs on ebay before I knew whether my kiddo was going to be a boy or girl. (I'm 25 weeks now.) I just bought them in whatever colors I could get a good price on. The u/s says we're getting a girl, but it's not like DD is going to sprout a wee-wee if I put a royal blue diaper on her after she comes out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Since we aren't finding out, we tell people anything sage green or light yellow is fine by us! But I wouldn't hesitate using blue for a girl, either. Pink for a boy, however, seems a little odd.

sage green
butter yellow
light blue
navy blue
light orange
red
white or cream

·
Registered
484 Posts
You could use any of those colors and add a contrasting trim row to the bottom after they're born if you want it to read more masculine or feminine- like a sage green body with pink or blue around the sleeves and bottom.

Personally, I like to veer away from the traditional muted baby blue or pink and so choose brighter colors when stitching for infants. (unless I know the parents are into Waldorff)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
ITA with the previous posters; I love really dynamic colours for babes too. Some of my favourites are the earth tones/fall colours too: rust, terracotta, burgundy, flame orange, reds, purples...and lovely greens/goldenrod yellow too...

It's only in fairly recent history that pink *was* a 'girls colour'; it was formerly very definitely a boys colour...it's funny how trends change, huh?

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I say anything that isn't labelled "boy" or "girl"... IDK though, I'm weird. I'd put pink on a boy, it doesn't really matter to me. I guess anything but pink and maybe purple.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.