Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background: Ds was in sposies for the first year, no rashes. For his 2nd year he was in cloth, with sporadic, mild rashes here and there that always cleared up with a little fresh air and some GSE in the wipes solution (and getting rid of all the TTO).<br><br>
A month ago, he was starting to wake up at night and grab at his diaper. One bad night we took it off entirely and he went right to sleep naked (and didn't pee by the way - yay!). The next morning I realized he had little sores all over his testicles - they looked like spots of rash that had been rubbed raw. There was even a tiny bit of blood on his diaper. My first thought was maybe I had put too much GSE in his wipe solution and it had burned his delicate skin. So I switched to plain water, and used sposies for about 3 days. Sores were gone, great.<br><br>
Use cloth for another 3 weeks, and the sores are back. We're having horrible ammonia hemp problems, and I'm wondering if that can cause the sores. I know the smell can give me a headache. Is this what an allergy to hemp looks like? Is it a reaction to the ammonia buildup (or whatever the correct term is)? I have him back in sposies right now because I can't bear to have him be uncomfortable while I figure it out. I tried switching detergents but it didn't make a difference.<br><br>
My current wash: Cold rinse, no detergent. Hot wash with 1/4c Tide, two cold or warm rinses. I've tried Calgon, but we have soft water and didn't do anything but make my diapers smell like perfume. I've tried soaking in baking soda overnight and it didn't really do much other than make them a bit softer.<br><br>
Any other ideas? He doesn't have any other symptoms of anything wrong - no diarrhea, no smelly pee, not eating anything strange, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
847 Posts
raw open sores sounds like a yeast infection to me-it will clear up and come back until you use an antifungal cream to completely erradicate it. It is made worse by being close to anything wet so that;s why it would appear to clear up with disposables. When DS has had these I use canesten cream and keep him in just a pinned prefold changed every single time he pees or keep him naked with a waterproof sheet underneath so he can heal.<br><br>
Good luck! Yeast is such a pain!

·
Registered
312 Posts
my thoughts are yeast too...it can thrive in diapers if not treated properly. i had open sores like that on my nipple when i had thrush...anyways, i'd say to keep swabbing his heiny with the gse solution (5-10 drops to an oz of distilled water) - don't "double dip" it'll contaminate it...and the diapers should be washed in the hottest water possible with lots of vinegar and tto, then dried on hottest setting, that should kill it. hth!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sounds like yeast and if you have yeast then you have to wash all your diapers very differently... PM Darshani she posted on the mothease board something about washing diapers with yeast...I know you have to take all the diapers and practically almost boil them and wash and wash and wash.....<br><br>
This is what a hemp allergy looks like....when i use hemp on Arian he gets bumps all over..My diapers have no smell at all they are perfectly fine, but when i put hemp on him he breaks out..They practically look like hives....Or really bad poison ivy....<br><br><br>
Hope that clears something up but i definately think you have yeast going on...Go to the ped ask him to check on your boy..Use sposies for the time it takes to clear up..Meanwhile wash your diapers(some ppl here have used bleach because of the yeast and the horrible smell...ask them and see i still dont like bleach but to sterilize it is a life savior)....<br><br>
I know Darhani used Lysol....I dont know how much though..Anyhow use sposies till you clean your diapers really well and then when the rash clears up and the diapers are disinfected....put on a hemp diaper...If he breaks out..its the hemp...<br><br>
HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts