Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I was just packing my hospital bag and I was debating whether to bring my prefolds and newborn prowrap covers to the hospital to use, or should I just bring disposables? (I was given about 8 dozen of the things!)

My issues are:
Pro-cloth:
I want to welcome my newbie with cloth and not paper.
Cloth is softer for new skin.
I'm just itchin to try out my new stuff!;-)

Pro disposie:
I won't have to worry about doing laundry the day after I get home.- I just know that it won't even occur to DH to do the laundry for me, and besides I wouldn't trust him with my stash. :)
I don't know if meconium will stain or not.
One less bag (of dirty laundry) to carry home.

The issue is also extended to baby wipes too. I made about 30 flannel, single thickness, 9"x9" wipes that I plan to use, but now when I think of it, would it be easier to go with disposies with these too? (I have about 6 pks of sample wipes). Btw, is 30 enough for day to day use, considering that I'll probably be doing laundry every other day? And why do people recommend double thickness?

What would be easiest for hospital use, keeping in mind that mobility will probably be somewhat limited (for getting water, extra supplies etc.)?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I took my cloth to the hospital. I just wanted the first thing on my babies bum to be a soft fleece Kissaluv. I took a dozen Kissaluvs, a dozen prefolds and my proraps. It was so much easier than I thought it would be, newborns don't really start peeing alot until day 2 or 3 so I didn't even need to use a cover on him while in the hospital. And I didn't find that the meconium stained at all, it all washed out.
I did use disposable wipes the first few days though because it was easier to get all that sticky meconium off and just toss them.
I would say, give it a try! Plus washing them is so easy anyway unless you are having a c-section just throw them in the washing machine when you get home.

As for wipes, I do prefer 2-ply wipes they are just sturdier to me and really help me from getting my hands dirty

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think you need to double the wipes. I would have at least 50-60. Of course I use about 5-7 for a dirty diaper. My dh only uses 1-2. He thinks I'm nuts.
When I was in the hospital- I used the wash cloths the hospital provided. You could use fleece liners if you don't want your dipes stained. I don't think you will need a cover. I would just ask your dh to do the laundry!

Oh- and two ply is better. I have both. I hate ny one ply. Like the pp said- 2 ply helps you not get your hands dirty- and they just do a better job. If you make more you can use the one ply for runny noses.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
was born in a hospital where they used cloth or sposies, you get to choose. I chose cloth.

With Zeke the hospital he was born at they only had sposies and his birthmother used those until I showed up with my cloth diaper stash.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Well this is just my opinion...but I'm going to use disposables in the hospital again. The hospital provides them- you don't have to bring any.

Meconium is thick and sticky and there's lots of it! I'd rather not have that on my diapers.

Personally, I just want to focus on my baby and introducing him to his big brother. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice!
Unfortunately the hospital that I'm going to only uses disposables, and I've seen them...
They're way too big for newborns. I guess what I'll do is bring about a dozen of both disposies and cloth, that way I can choose what to use when I get there. Hopefully things will be uneventful and I won't have to be there longer than 24 hours.

I think too that I'll make some more cloth wipes. Double sided this time. Maybe one side flannel and the other something else? Any suggestions? The only thing I know that would work would possibly be terry cloth.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maggiemae
I think terry is good for getting poop off well. I sometimes also use gerber washcloths.
Ditto the gerber washlcoths! That was we used for WEEKS after my DD came home. They were the best!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.