Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done a lot of fermenting. I do make water kefir, but that's mostly all we eat that's fermented. We know we don't care a lot for saurkraut, although we may try kimchi (I think the ginger and garlic would make enough of a difference for us). I've made fermented kale with garlic, and I really like it (on certain things), but dh and ds don't. I've made some good pickles, and dh and I both like those, but ds can't eat cukes. Besides, I can't find the small cukes now anyway.<br><br>
I tried making fermented salsa. I had read somewhere how to do it, and it was basically just making fresh salsa and leaving it out to ferment. That's what I did, but it molded! So, how do I do it right?? I think it would be a ferment that dh and I would like. And I could add it to my guacamole, so ds would eat it too.<br><br>
The one thing that occurs to me that I *might* have done wrong is to leave it in a bowl. I didn't put it in jars. Is there something about the shape of the container that matters?? It had plenty of salt, I'm pretty sure of that.<br><br>
Thanks for any thoughts!<br><br>
Christie

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You pretty much make salsa like normal, but you do add a bit of whey in it to innoculate it with good yeasts and bacteria. If not using whey, make sure you use organic vegetables in the salsa, and I would recommend you <b>not</b> washing the veggies, since vegetables naturally have a layer of wild yeasts on the skin. This normally is the slightly white stuff that's over organic apples and other veggies. Or, you can do it like it's done in Wild Fermentation and just leave it uncovered, and hopefully you catch some good bugs before the bad stuff takes over. Also, adding sufficient lemon or lime juice should make it acidic enough to inhibit the growth of bad bacteria before the good stuff takes over.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts