Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a new mom and I am delivering at the local birth center and it doesn't sound like they send anything home with you.

Could you tell me the most important postpartum essentials I will need???

For example do I need chux pads or a sitz bath? A peri bottle? This is our first? Can you get those pads that have gel in them???

Thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm not sure what you're wanting to be sent home with you....

I used pads for post partum bleeding, a peri bottle (cool water feels GOOD after pushing), ummm.....I think that's about it as far as "after birth" care type of stuff. Some moms use a sitz bath - I didn't, but I think it's probably up to you. Not sure what pads with gel you're talking about....

You'll probably need some breast pads, it'll be nice to have a "nursing area" set up so you can relax - have some reading materials, a pillow (if it's comfy for you - it wasn't for me) to help position baby, maybe a rocking chair.

If you have family around or a good friend/neighbor, maybe they can prepare food for you or help straighten up the house so that you can have a babymoon.

I'm honestly not coming up with anything else (and I don't want to be insulting and suggest obvious things like a carseat, baby clothes, etc).

Was there something specific you were wondering about? (I know, if you don't know how can you ask, right?)

HTH
Kinsey

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Our birth center sent us home with our baby and a peri bottle and a small packet of written info (what to do if...), and that's about it. I used big pads for the lochia/bleeding and took some tylenol 'cause my rear-end really hurt (I'm a first time mom too, and that was rather surprising). We really didn't need/want/use much else (okay, we also used diapers for the babe, breast pads for me because milk leaked everywhere, lots of little rags/washcloths/cloth diapers for spills/leaks/spitup, and a sling to carry baby around)

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
They sent me home with my baby!
seriously, I brought all my own supplies, since it was more of a homebirth-away-from-home. So I had plenty of chux pads, and stuff like that.

I used my baby's premie sized prefolds for lochia, but didn't have much bleeding after the first day.
I did have a small sport bottle to squirt water down there when I urinated.
I never leaked breastmilk with #1, so didn't bother with breastpads.
I also had my boppy pillow with me.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I should buy chux pads etc? I have everything for the baby. I was just wondering if I needed anything for my rear end. I guess I can send DH out for a sitz bath if I tear or need one. I know the hospital has maxi pads that you twist and they get all cold and icy for your little bruised petueee.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I'd say, yes, get a bag of chux pads.......they are kind of annoying to sleep on, though.

I *personally* would recomend the BIGGEST plain ol' pads you can find.....I wouldn't recomend getting any with any chemical gels in them because, well, it just doesn't make good sense to me to put weird chemicals on your recently traumatized vaginal area. Both times, I got the super thick, plain cotton inside ones and they rocked. I actually used two at a time for the first few days. I never had a problem with them being too big because it's not like you can really walk well anyways for a day or so.

With my daughter, I did have a sitz bath but, with a newborn and with how slowly I got around for a few days, it really was more of a pain in the butt. My birth center with my daughter gave me a peri bottle......my son was a homebirth and so I bought two.

The BEST things, IMO: With my daughter, I got tucks pads and refrigerated them....I'd put one in my pad whenever I changed it or went potty. I also used refrigerated water on my bottom with the peri bottle.

With my son, my midwives actually made an herbal peri wash, which I also kept refrigerated. They also made me a bunch of my pads up with a long squirt of peri wash down the center and then froze them. You could probably do that with which hazel or just plain water.....I think the cold was the key. They were awesome.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
We got sent home with one of those formula cooler bags, with no formula in it
It did come with bottles of sterilized water, which we wound up using. Our first instance of not knowing whose advice to take -- why would the birth center want us to risk nipple confusion? I was terrified to use the bottles, but actually wound up doing so because ds seemed really thirsty before my milk came in.

We bought a sitz bath but I only used it a couple times. The peri bottle was nice, and I used pads soaked in witch hazel -- I tore (got stitches) and had hemorrhoids and my keester was might sore.

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
CJ 5, chux pads are convenient, but you can use towels too/instead. The blood will come out, by the way, if washed with a little hydrogen peroxide. Also -- I highly recommend getting cloth menstrual pads for the lochia, they are more comfortable (the blood won't clot up in your pubic hairs and make you itch as much as with disposable pads) and don't make you smell funny like disposable pads do.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I second the cloth pads...I used them for the first time after Bella's birth, and they were great. I don't think anyone has mentioned Dermaplast. This was a GREAT help, especially if you are really sore down there. It has a cool, numbing effect, and works wonders. You can get it at any pharmacy/drugstore. Everyone is saying they used cool water in the peri bottle...but I used warm salt water, per my midwife's instruction. She said the salt water will help my tear heal faster.

Didn't really use any chux pads past after the actual birth, except while I was sitting in the rocking chair the first night.

I think you can be as prepared as you can, but there will always be some things that you will just have to wait until after the birth to figure out what you need!
That's how it was for me anyway. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.